+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

J1 Visa Requirements - Medical Student

Blitz

Nov 17, 2009
Basically, I was born in the UK, moved to Canada when I was 5, did all my schooling + BScH in Canada, and am now living in the UK as a medical student.

And yes, I'm a dual British-Canadian citizen. So even though I'm 'living' in the UK, most of my major stuff is Canada. As in, my permanent address, Drivers License, where my parents live = Canada. So would Canada give me a Letter of Need, even though I did medical school in the UK?

This is important, because I looked into the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario, and apparently they recognize USMLE/American Board certification. Therefore, if I do J1 residency in American, I can then swing back to Toronto or whatever for the 2 year home rule, and then hopefully swing back to the States.

However, if my Letter of Need is from the UK, I'm pretty sure its much tougher for me to swing back to the UK after residency (not sure if American training is recognized by the brits). So I'm pretty sure I might be dumped with something like Registrar or even Intern because I dont have GMC License, etc.

So if I can go back to Canada for the 2 year period, thats what I want ideally.