+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Immigrating as a Ph.D with teaching experience in public secondary school.

Aug 19, 2023
Morocco
Category........
FSW
Hello everyone.
I'm a Moroccan teacher with five years of experience as a mathematics educator at the (public) secondary school level. During this time, I successfully completed and defended a Ph.D. in fundamental mathematics.
Currently, I am engaged in refining my Entry Express profile as part of my plan to immigrate to British Columbia, Canada. My intention is not to secure a job offer at this stage, as I am required to obtain certification for teaching in British Columbia. My approach involves first relocating to Canada and then seeking employment to cover living expenses while I work towards obtaining the necessary teaching certification.
I am contemplating the feasibility of this strategy and seeking advice on its viability. I'd like to know what obstacles I'll have to face in my situation (financially, housing issue, etc.). Thank you in advance.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hello everyone.
I'm a Moroccan teacher with five years of experience as a mathematics educator at the (public) secondary school level. During this time, I successfully completed and defended a Ph.D. in fundamental mathematics.
Currently, I am engaged in refining my Entry Express profile as part of my plan to immigrate to British Columbia, Canada. My intention is not to secure a job offer at this stage, as I am required to obtain certification for teaching in British Columbia. My approach involves first relocating to Canada and then seeking employment to cover living expenses while I work towards obtaining the necessary teaching certification.
I am contemplating the feasibility of this strategy and seeking advice on its viability. I'd like to know what obstacles I'll have to face in my situation (financially, housing issue, etc.). Thank you in advance.
So what is your CRS score for Express Entry? If you receive ITA and eligible to apply for a teaching license then it is feasible. Where in BC? Do you have a substantial amount of savings to live in BC?

Aug 19, 2023
Morocco
Category........
FSW
So what is your CRS score for Express Entry? If you receive ITA and eligible to apply for a teaching license then it is feasible. Where in BC? Do you have a substantial amount of savings to live in BC?
My CRS score is 553. I did not receive ITA as i'm still waiting for some documents to complete my Entry Express profile. I do have some savings (around 11000 CAD and still gathering some).

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
My CRS score is 553. I did not receive ITA as i'm still waiting for some documents to complete my Entry Express profile. I do have some savings (around 11000 CAD and still gathering some).
So you have TEF and IELTS too? You need a minimum of $13k for proof of funds. If moving to Vancouver, that is really moving to Canada with little to no money.

Aug 19, 2023
Morocco
Category........
FSW
So you have TEF and IELTS too? You need a minimum of $13k for proof of funds. If moving to Vancouver, that is really moving to Canada with little to no money.
Yes, I do have TEF and IELTS. I'm just waiting for my Ph.D diploma to be issued from my university (it takes a long time in Morocco) and then send it to WES for evaluation. As for the savings, I think they will rise to around 15k by the end of the year. I know is not much, but then I intend to find work as soon as I arrive and i'm really ready to do any work available (delivery, transportation ...) just to sustain the cost of living and not spend much of my savings.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Yes, I do have TEF and IELTS. I'm just waiting for my Ph.D diploma to be issued from my university (it takes a long time in Morocco) and then send it to WES for evaluation. As for the savings, I think they will rise to around 15k by the end of the year. I know is not much, but then I intend to find work as soon as I arrive and i'm really ready to do any work available (delivery, transportation ...) just to sustain the cost of living and not spend much of my savings.
If living in Vancouver there is no way not to use your savings. It is so expensive and $11k will not get you far. If doing delivery or transportation then you have a car? Because that will be an added expensive - purchase, insurance. Plus you need a driver’s license too.