+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

From PGWP to Visitor status to Extension

codezips

Apr 8, 2024
Hello everyone, my status as a postgraduate work permit expired this year and I applied for visitor status prior to maintaining my status legally from inside Canada. As such, I got a 10-year stamp on my passport for the visitor visa. So my three queries to this situation are 1. Now does that mean I am good to stay in the country for the next 10 years or 2. do I need to leave the country in the next 6 months? 3. if so then can i apply for visitor status extension after this coming six months period to stay in the country? I am a bit confused here and I would really appreciate anyone's knowledge shared.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hello everyone, my status as a postgraduate work permit expired this year and I applied for visitor status prior to maintaining my status legally from inside Canada. As such, I got a 10-year stamp on my passport for the visitor visa. So my three queries to this situation are 1. Now does that mean I am good to stay in the country for the next 10 years or 2. do I need to leave the country in the next 6 months? 3. if so then can i apply for visitor status extension after this coming six months period to stay in the country? I am a bit confused here and I would really appreciate anyone's knowledge shared.
You stay up to 6 months and apply for a visitor record before the 6 months is up. You can stay until decision is given. It may be approved or refused.

codezips

Apr 8, 2024
You stay up to 6 months and apply for a visitor record before the 6 months is up. You can stay until decision is given. It may be approved or refused.
Thankyou for your comment. Also as for the 10 year stamp on the passport is not valid ?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thankyou for your comment. Also as for the 10 year stamp on the passport is not valid ?
You have a stamp for 10 years but doesn’t allow you to stay for 10 years. Any visitor can remain in Canada up to 6 months but can submit a visitor record to extend stay. It is up to IRCC whether to approve the extension or not.

Reactions: YVR123 and codezips

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
1. That means you can enter into Canada in the next 10 years.
2. You can stay 6 months from the day your entered/get the visitor status unless otherwise stated.
3. You need to apply to extend your stay BEFORE your 6 months is up. You will need to provide reason for your extension. It could be refused or accepted.