+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Express entry with work experience NOC-4012 while doing Ph.D. in Canada

IuriiS

Star Member
May 17, 2019
Dear friends,

I am doing my Ph.D. in Canada. My supervisor pays me from her research fund as a research assistant for the last 3 years. As I understood, I can use this work experience by the NOC 4012 to apply under Express Entry Stream (https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=855&top=29), but it will be considered as a foreign work experience. So, I will not get any points for work experience in Canada. Does anybody apply and get PR with such work experience obtained in Canada?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Dear friends,

I am doing my Ph.D. in Canada. My supervisor pays me from her research fund as a research assistant for the last 3 years. As I understood, I can use this work experience by the NOC 4012 to apply under Express Entry Stream (https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=855&top=29), but it will be considered as a foreign work experience. So, I will not get any points for work experience in Canada. Does anybody apply and get PR with such work experience obtained in Canada?
It is possible. To be eligible for EE-FSW, the work must be continuous and full time for at least one year or two years part-time. If you meet eligibility requirements then you want a CRS score of about 480. Or be nominated through a PNP program. Which province are you in?

IuriiS

Star Member
May 17, 2019
Unfortunately, Alberta is not transparent at all. Will try to apply with this NOC and see :)

abqalhamairi

Jun 23, 2019
Why would it be considered as foreign work experience? The work was done in Canada and you were a student at the time? Because you don't have a work permit?

IuriiS

Star Member
May 17, 2019
Maybe, it will be considered such as Canadian work experience, but you will not get any extra points for it, because you are on a study permit.