+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

eTA denied before travelling as a new Permanent Resident (PGP)

letsgo21

May 1, 2024
Hello everyone.

Mi mom was approved under PGP and we already received her Copr. She used to be a PR in the 90's but she lost that status officially when IRCC told us to apply for prtd to get a final decision on that old status. We got that final decision and continued with the pgp application untill we received copr. We are from a visa exempt country so there was no visa issued. We tried to get an eTA to make things simpler when travelling but we got an email saying that my mom was already a PR and she could renounce to that status or wait 10 days to automatically close the eTA application. They also say that a Permanent Resident needs a PRTD or PR card to enter Canada.

So now im wondering.
- eTA application says my mom is still a PR and needs PRTD o PR CARD to enter canada.
- They are referring to the previous status or recent just approved copr?
- At the same time she has not landed yet, so not chance for PRTD/pr card.

Do you guys think this may affect landing? Im worried this denial can be seen in their system as a "DO NOT ENTER" since eTA was denied.

Thanks.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hello everyone.

Mi mom was approved under PGP and we already received her Copr. She used to be a PR in the 90's but she lost that status officially when IRCC told us to apply for prtd to get a final decision on that old status. We got that final decision and continued with the pgp application untill we received copr. We are from a visa exempt country so there was no visa issued. We tried to get an eTA to make things simpler when travelling but we got an email saying that my mom was already a PR and she could renounce to that status or wait 10 days to automatically close the eTA application. They also say that a Permanent Resident needs a PRTD or PR card to enter Canada.

So now im wondering.
- eTA application says my mom is still a PR and needs PRTD o PR CARD to enter canada.

Do you guys think this may affect landing? Im worried this denial can be seen in their system as a "DO NOT ENTER" since eTA was denied.

Thanks.
If she has recent COPR then she lands. She doesn’t need ETA.

Reactions: scylla

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello everyone.

So now im wondering.

Thanks.
She doesn't need an eTA if she has a COPR. You've complicated the situation and created confusion by apply for something she does not need. I would recommend she travel and land as soon as she can just using the COPR.

Reactions: Naturgrl