+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

driving rental car into canada

michaelm

Jul 22, 2007
I am planning a roadtrip from NYC to Prince Edward Island in August. Are rental cars from the US allowed into Canada?
thanks.

Libra

Jun 8, 2007
michaelm said:
I am planning a roadtrip from NYC to Prince Edward Island in August. Are rental cars from the US allowed into Canada?
thanks.
As long as you are not a Canadian citizen, there is no restriction. U.S. citizens and U.S. residents can drive a rental car into Canada without any restrictions, but should be prepared to show the car rental agreement and of course, a valid driver's license.

hurricane

Aug 6, 2007
I am a Canadian citizen, a permanent resident of the US. I was planning on picking up a rental car in Buffalo and driving into Canada. I need to know whether the restriction is to "Canadian citizens" or "residents". Thanks.

Libra

Jun 8, 2007
hurricane said:
I am a Canadian citizen, a permanent resident of the US. I was planning on picking up a rental car in Buffalo and driving into Canada. I need to know whether the restriction is to "Canadian citizens" or "residents". Thanks.

The restriction applies to both Canadian citizens and Canadian permanent residents.