+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Counting work experience while studying BUT under work permit?

serhat737

Jun 5, 2022
Hi everyone, I'm in a unusual situation. I have two separate permits, a study permit and an open work permit, so currently I am both studying full-time and working full-time at the same time (thanks to the temporary removal of weekly work hour limits for students)

We all know the Canadian work experience gained during full-time studies (in Canada) doesn't count towards CEC.
"work experience gained while you were a full-time student (even if you were on a co-op work term) doesn’t count toward the minimum requirements for this program."

But what if you are working under a valid work permit while still also studying?

According to some information on the web, on this forum, and as my immigration consultant also said "work experience while studying doesn't count only if you are working under a study permit, but if you are working under a work permit, no matter you are studying or not, it counts"

I found another reference to support that:
"To be considered under the Canadian Experience Class: You cannot count work experience you gained while enrolled as a full-time student. Your work experience must have been gained while on a valid work permit, such as the Post-Graduation Work Permit."
This implies that your work experience under a valid work permit will be counted. (even if you are a student or have a separate study permit)

So what do you think? Do guys know anyone who is in a similar situation? Should I use my experience towards EE?