+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can't Find UK or GBR in "Territory of Issue" on Citizenship Application

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
This might be a really dumb question but I can't find an option for U.K. or Great Britain in their drop down menus. For my other applications (PR, TR, Student Visa) drop-down menus all offered the United Kingdom or Great Britain as options of current citizenship or "territory of issue" for my passport.

This does not seem to be the case for the citizenship application. Although I have never lived in the UK I hold a British Passport because my mother is Scottish and am therefore considered to have British Citizenship. Where it asks: "Do you currently, or have your ever held immigration or citizenship status in a country or territory other than Canada? What should I say? England? Scotland?
It's true and this is basically a weird inconsistency - but for clarity for anyone coming up against this, don't worry. Put whatever sub-unit within the UK that you want (or that is most appropriate).

For brief explanation: there are standard 'computer lists' that are used for these things. Sometimes they don't match well with what is intended by the form - or sometimes the forms themselves have the concepts wrong (depending on your point of view).

Note, for example, the citizenship question on the PR application (IMM0008) has fully four different entries for the UK (because you can be a full-on 'british citizen', or a Brit overseas citizen, or a 'british overseas territory' [sic], or a 'British national overseas'). Key thing: these concepts do not correspond or map directly to territories around the world that are "British" (in one legal sense or another).

"Immigration status" has to/should be different because (for example) residence in a 'British territory' (or some French and Dutch and USA ones, surely lots of other cases too) does not apply to all holders of the many-flavoured UK passports. Hong Kong and China are similarly complex (HK technically not being a country but having a different passport than for other Chinese citizens).

Yes, it kind of doesn't make sense for Scotland, NI, England and Wales. Because this stuff is hard and computerised lists of categories don't capture all this stuff properly. Don't worry about it, put Scotland if you want.

asterixfanboy

Star Member
Jul 28, 2021
Completely off topic and apologies if I hit a nerve or two :)

- Why do people having UK passports and Citizenship want to apply for Canadian citizenship? What construes as the primary reason?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Completely off topic and apologies if I hit a nerve or two :)

- Why do people having UK passports and Citizenship want to apply for Canadian citizenship? What construes as the primary reason?
Strange question. If a UK citizen is living in Canada as a permanent resident, why wouldn't they? The cost is minimal, they'd never ever have to renew PR card, they get to vote, no more residency obligation, and there's a nice ceremony.

Kpboutique

Nov 13, 2017
Yea it's missing for some reason. I did an online application which allowed me to upload "supporting information" so I just uploaded a letter explaining that a UK option was missing. I figure they see enough British applicants that it won't be an issue.

did it work I am having same issue with application

D-Dog

Star Member
Feb 2, 2024
I was quite surprised that I had to pick 'England'. Usually, as a British subject overseas, I've had to select 'United Kingdom' which was never common until recent years. That said, I think it's quite considerate from Canada.