+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Citizenship to indian born kid

Canadavisa1230

Star Member
Sep 15, 2018
Hello Everyone. I came as a student to Canada and later got my PR and then I gave up my Indian citizenship and become a Canadian Citizen. Sponsored my wife she become PR. Now she is pregnant due to some health issue she got stuck in India. could not travel back to Canada. Most likely my kid will born in India. The question is Can I apply Canadian Citizenship for my indian born Kid? if yes how complicate is that process and how long can I expect that process takes. Also My wife PR expires in 2026 March. she already spent 2.5 years in canada. So will there be any problem for her to renew her PR once she come back here ?

Please help with this query. I really appreciate your help on this.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello Everyone. I came as a student to Canada and later got my PR and then I gave up my Indian citizenship and become a Canadian Citizen. Sponsored my wife she become PR. Now she is pregnant due to some health issue she got stuck in India. could not travel back to Canada. Most likely my kid will born in India. The question is Can I apply Canadian Citizenship for my indian born Kid? if yes how complicate is that process and how long can I expect that process takes. Also My wife PR expires in 2026 March. she already spent 2.5 years in canada. So will there be any problem for her to renew her PR once she come back here ?

Please help with this query. I really appreciate your help on this.
PR doesn’t expire PR card does it she has spent 730 days out of the past 5 years in Canada she won’t have a problems renewing her PR card. Your child will need to apply to have his/her Canadian citizenship recognized after he is born in India. That can be about of a long process. You can try to secure emergency travel documents to come to Canada earlier because it can take up to around a year to get a Canadian passport.

Canadavisa1230

Star Member
Sep 15, 2018
PR doesn’t expire PR card does it she has spent 730 days out of the past 5 years in Canada she won’t have a problems renewing her PR card. Your child will need to apply to have his/her Canadian citizenship recognized after he is born in India. That can be about of a long process. You can try to secure emergency travel documents to come to Canada earlier because it can take up to around a year to get a Canadian passport.

Thank you for the reply. I got my CA citizenship by Naturalization. so I think I'm eligible to apply for my kid the question is will it be a paper based application or online? When I went to the below site and fill the apply only query it says you can apply only.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-citizenship/proof-citizenship/apply.html#apply-online

but Once I fill the apply online the below comes up and read the instructions. when I click the below ("to read the instruction guide for applying online")it says you have to apply paper based. Bit confused.

Once I fill the apply online the below comes up and read the instructions.

"" "To apply online, you need"""

----to read the instruction guide for applying online(opens in a new tab) ------

The next tab shows this info(Were you born outside Canada?
If you were born outside Canada to a Canadian parent who was also born outside Canada, you must submit a paper application.)

Documents link:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-0001-online-application-citizenship-certificate-adults-minors-proof-citizenship-section-3.html#before

Also the new born baby will not have any identity proofs other than birth certificate in India. Do he need to apply indian passport as well or directly Canadian citizenship certificate? and then canada passport ?. Would it be possible for you to connect with the person who is in the same boat. I would really appreciate. I dont want to cause any delays for missing stuff. Just want to make sure and drop the file correctly.

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you for the reply. I got my CA citizenship by Naturalization. so I think I'm eligible to apply for my kid the question is will it be a paper based application or online? When I went to the below site and fill the apply only query it says you can apply only.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-citizenship/proof-citizenship/apply.html#apply-online

but Once I fill the apply online the below comes up and read the instructions. when I click the below ("to read the instruction guide for applying online")it says you have to apply paper based. Bit confused.

Once I fill the apply online the below comes up and read the instructions.

"" "To apply online, you need"""

----to read the instruction guide for applying online(opens in a new tab) ------

Documents link:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-0001-online-application-citizenship-certificate-adults-minors-proof-citizenship-section-3.html#before

Also the new born baby will not have any identity proofs other than birth certificate in India. Do he need to apply indian passport as well or directly Canadian citizenship certificate? and then canada passport ?. Would it be possible for you to connect with the person who is in the same boat. I would really appreciate. I dont want to cause any delays for missing stuff. Just want to make sure and drop the file correctly.
Your child will need to get Indian documentation first. It is possible to have both citizenships as a minor. If you want someone to provide full guidance hire a lawyer or consultant.

Canadavisa1230

Star Member
Sep 15, 2018
Your child will need to get Indian documentation first. It is possible to have both citizenships as a minor. If you want someone to provide full guidance hire a lawyer or consultant.

Thank you. I believe India does not allow dual citizenship right

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you. I believe India does not allow dual citizenship right
They allow it for minors. You’ll be able to get your child an Indian passport and then apply for Canadian citizenship. Believe then you can renounce citizenship for the child or they can renounce it themselves within 6 months of when they reach 18 ( could also keep Indian citizenship and renounce Canadian citizenship at 18)

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
The next tab shows this info(Were you born outside Canada?
If you were born outside Canada to a Canadian parent who was also born outside Canada, you must submit a paper application.)
If you read the instructions and it says you must submit a paper application for your type of app, then ...

... honestly, I can't even. Have you read instructions before?

Also the new born baby will not have any identity proofs other than birth certificate in India. Do he need to apply indian passport as well or directly Canadian citizenship certificate? and then canada passport ?
READ THE INSTRUCTIONS. The instructions will say which documents you will need.

You will see in other threads where you asked about how to apply/in what order for the citizenship certificate and passport. I directed you to a post with more instructions as well.

CONTACT THE HIGH COMMISSION OR GAC CONSULAR AFFAIRS and ask. You can usually apply for a temporary passport for a newborn on basis of the docs showing parentage and the (copy of the) application for citizenship certificate (as well as needs/plan to travel). If the application and circumstances are sufficiently clear, they will get authority to issue the passport on basis that the child is presumed to be a citizen. It's fine it's a temp or emergency passport, because infant passports are usually limited validity (a year or two) anyway. It will be enough to get the child to Canada.

Canadavisa1230

Star Member
Sep 15, 2018
If you read the instructions and it says you must submit a paper application for your type of app, then ...

... honestly, I can't even. Have you read instructions before?

READ THE INSTRUCTIONS. The instructions will say which documents you will need.

You will see in other threads where you asked about how to apply/in what order for the citizenship certificate and passport. I directed you to a post with more instructions as well.

CONTACT THE HIGH COMMISSION OR GAC CONSULAR AFFAIRS and ask. You can usually apply for a temporary passport for a newborn on basis of the docs showing parentage and the (copy of the) application for citizenship certificate (as well as needs/plan to travel). If the application and circumstances are sufficiently clear, they will get authority to issue the passport on basis that the child is presumed to be a citizen. It's fine it's a temp or emergency passport, because infant passports are usually limited validity (a year or two) anyway. It will be enough to get the child to Canada.

Thank you I will try to reach them. I sent them an email they sent me with the same links I found on IRCC so. I will let others know about my findings. Really there are only very few people in this situation.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thank you I will try to reach them. I sent them an email they sent me with the same links I found on IRCC so. I will let others know about my findings. Really there are only very few people in this situation.
It's not remotely uncommon and you've seen several threads giving the links to instructions. There have been many cases reported. It's not very complicated.

And in all cases it involves reading the instructions and filling out the forms.