+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying to PR renewal with PRTD

Sabina1971

Apr 30, 2024
My son’s PR card was expired without him fulfilling 720 days requirement. It was during pandemic. We applied for PR renewal and then he left Canada. He received invitation to ircc to get his card but he cant enter Canada so we had to apply for PRTD. He recently received his PRTD and entered Canada. Now we are trying to renew his PR card but system asks for proof of his stay in Canada. Does it mean we still have to go all over it again and he might be refused PR status?

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
My son’s PR card was expired without him fulfilling 720 days requirement. It was during pandemic. We applied for PR renewal and then he left Canada. He received invitation to ircc to get his card but he cant enter Canada so we had to apply for PRTD. He recently received his PRTD and entered Canada. Now we are trying to renew his PR card but system asks for proof of his stay in Canada. Does it mean we still have to go all over it again and he might be refused PR status?
He cannot renew his PR card until he meet his RO. Not sure how many of his previous days in Canada can be counted toward this round of renewal. (depending on if the days are earlier in the previous 5 years or more recent)

He can stay in Canada (as PR) but he won't be able to travel back in Canada if he travels outside before he gets his new PR card.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The requirement is 730 days within each rolling 5-year window, not 720.

He should have remained in Canada after submitting the renewal application. Why did he leave?!

He will not be refused PR status, because he is only applying for a PR Card...not status. He already has status. It may, however, delay him receiving his card which he doesn't really need right away, now that he has successfully returned to Canada. However...

If IRCC suspects that he was not truthful about any part of this (was not in Canada when he applied, for example) it could be a problem. I assume that he did include at least two pieces of evidence of residing in Canada with his application, since (as of September of 2022, I believe) it is required for ALL PR Card renewals, regardless of whether or not the PR ever left Canada during the 5-year window.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
When he received his PRTD, there should be a code on the visa, I believe under category. It might be RC-1 or somethign like that. Please tell us what the code is, it relates directly to the answer to your question.

Reactions: YVR123 and scylla

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Other issue may be that he will typically undergo an interview when trying to pick up PR card where they typically verify if you remain in compliance with RO or if you did establish yourself in Canada if you applied based on H&C grounds.