+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Adding my fiancee on my express entry application as Common Law Partner

meghnamidhun

May 6, 2018
Hi,

I will be applying for Canada PR through express entry process as soon as I receive my WES reference number. I am engaged to my boy friend and I would like to include him in my application as common law partner. He also applied for WES and other police conduct certificates documents required. Can I include him as a common law partner. We have been in a relationship for more than 5 years. In last 12 months, we are staying together but we don't have any leasing document. The apartment is leased out in the name of another girl who stays with me. When we moved here, we did not add our name into the leasing agreement. My question is can I include him as common law partner without a leasing agreement. We have following documents -

1. Paycheck addressed to our current address for more than 12 months.
2. Both of our Credit card and bank account statements for last 12 months addressed to my present address.
3. I have added him into my bofa account and we made that account a joint account. (For last 2 months). We will be managing our savings fund in that account.
4. Both of our driver's ID transferred to this address when we moved to my current state. It was issued 12 months before.
4. We can get letters from both of our parents saying we are engaged and will be getting married soon.
5. Health checkup documents addressed to this location.
6. Many pictures taken together, Flight tickets of our vacation trips etc.
7. We did our Masters together 4 years before (2014-2016). During that time frame, we used to stay together along with our batchmates. We graduated together.

Can someone please clarify if we are eligible as Common Law Partners. Any response is much appreciated.

Wakki

Champion Member
Sep 18, 2017
Hi,

I will be applying for Canada PR through express entry process as soon as I receive my WES reference number. I am engaged to my boy friend and I would like to include him in my application as common law partner. He also applied for WES and other police conduct certificates documents required. Can I include him as a common law partner. We have been in a relationship for more than 5 years. In last 12 months, we are staying together but we don't have any leasing document. The apartment is leased out in the name of another girl who stays with me. When we moved here, we did not add our name into the leasing agreement. My question is can I include him as common law partner without a leasing agreement. We have following documents -

1. Paycheck addressed to our current address for more than 12 months.
2. Both of our Credit card and bank account statements for last 12 months addressed to my present address.
3. I have added him into my bofa account and we made that account a joint account. (For last 2 months). We will be managing our savings fund in that account.
4. Both of our driver's ID transferred to this address when we moved to my current state. It was issued 12 months before.
4. We can get letters from both of our parents saying we are engaged and will be getting married soon.
5. Health checkup documents addressed to this location.
6. Many pictures taken together, Flight tickets of our vacation trips etc.
7. We did our Masters together 4 years before (2014-2016). During that time frame, we used to stay together along with our batchmates. We graduated together.

Can someone please clarify if we are eligible as Common Law Partners. Any response is much appreciated.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=347&top=14

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/forums/express-entry-expression-of-interest.54/

viraath

Feb 24, 2019
Hello meghnamidhun,

My name is Viraath and I am trying for the Canada express entry under common law. I was wondering if you could manage to get the Canada PR.

Would it be possible for you to share any contact details so that I can contact you to get more information? You can send email to kumarviraath@gmail.com

Thanks.

Nishiminami

Star Member
Jan 26, 2019
Hello meghnamidhun,

My name is Viraath and I am trying for the Canada express entry under common law. I was wondering if you could manage to get the Canada PR.

Would it be possible for you to share any contact details so that I can contact you to get more information? You can send email to kumarviraath@gmail.com

Thanks.
Hello Viraath, its advisable not to write/send/give your email address in public.
Check IRCC website. There is lots of information. Good Luck

Apr 14, 2024
Help ‼ urgent
I got invited in recent stem draw, I believe I made a big mistake though, as I now realized that I have been living more than 12 months with my girlfriend, so my status is actually common-law. It's all on me not familiarizing with those terms in the beginning, but assuming to be officially single at that time. Is it now too late to change from single to common-law post-ITA? We are soon getting married, and the idea was to include her in the application after submitting it, when we get the marriage certificate. So, if I continue and submit my application as a single, and I later add her to the application, they will likely find out that we have shared an address since 2021, and I can't imagine this leading to anything good.
. Any advice, how should I proceed to still have a chance at the PR?
Also My score increases with her, currently as single 515 and with her is 520.
What should I do