+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visa expires before graduation date and PGWP

CAstudent2024

May 12, 2024
Hi everyone,

I got my visa conditions changed in the new year because I work with kids and the requirements to do so have changed since summer of 2023 (when I last applied for a student visa extension).
Once I got the visa back in the mail, for some reason (perhaps my mistake or perhaps theirs) they have my visa expiring in June, but I defend my thesis in August.

Do I need to get the dates changed on this visa to reflect my graduation date, which will be October of this year? OR is this visa fine and I just apply for some kind of bridging visa or the post-graduation work permit (PGWP)? Am I eligible for the PGWP at this point?

Thank you for any pointers or tips ahead of time. The rules keep changing and it's so hard to keep up!

rcincanada2019

Jan 14, 2023
Ontario
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
App. Filed.......
03-07-2022
Nomination.....
30-03-2022
AOR Received.
03-11-2022
Hi everyone,

I got my visa conditions changed in the new year because I work with kids and the requirements to do so have changed since summer of 2023 (when I last applied for a student visa extension).
Once I got the visa back in the mail, for some reason (perhaps my mistake or perhaps theirs) they have my visa expiring in June, but I defend my thesis in August.

Do I need to get the dates changed on this visa to reflect my graduation date, which will be October of this year? OR is this visa fine and I just apply for some kind of bridging visa or the post-graduation work permit (PGWP)? Am I eligible for the PGWP at this point?

Thank you for any pointers or tips ahead of time. The rules keep changing and it's so hard to keep up!
Visa and permit are two different things. Visa allows you entry to Canada and permit (study, work, visitor, etc) allows you to stay for more than six months. You can have an expired visa but still eligible to stay if permit is still valid.

Which one are you referring to?