+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I Change Employers While we Share Address in Canada?

FreeTensai

Apr 4, 2019
Hello everyone,

I've been in Canada for four months on a closed, employer-specific work permit. Unfortunately, my current employer can no longer provide work for me. However, my work permit is still active, granting me the right to stay in Canada for the duration specified on the permit.

I've been informed by an immigration consultant that I have the right to change employers as long as the new employer is willing to go through the procedure.

Here's where it gets a bit tricky: my brother-in-law, who is a permanent resident, has recently founded a company and is willing to offer me employment. However, we currently share the same address as I am living with him.

Would sharing the same address as my employer pose any issues during the process of changing employers? Has anyone been in a similar situation or have any insights on how this might be perceived by immigration authorities?

Any advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hello everyone,

I've been in Canada for four months on a closed, employer-specific work permit. Unfortunately, my current employer can no longer provide work for me. However, my work permit is still active, granting me the right to stay in Canada for the duration specified on the permit.

I've been informed by an immigration consultant that I have the right to change employers as long as the new employer is willing to go through the procedure.

Here's where it gets a bit tricky: my brother-in-law, who is a permanent resident, has recently founded a company and is willing to offer me employment. However, we currently share the same address as I am living with him.

Would sharing the same address as my employer pose any issues during the process of changing employers? Has anyone been in a similar situation or have any insights on how this might be perceived by immigration authorities?

Any advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!
The company needs to file for a LMIA proving that no Canadian or PR has the experience/education to do the job. The company must meet the requirements and if a new company may not be eligible. Company has to provide tax filings and show office space. Should not be in a person’s home. So tell brother-in-law to read requirements. Assume job has been posted, and is following the recruitment process as well as meeting median salary for the NOC.

Last edited:
Reactions: YVR123