+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Seek advice on withdraw and re-apply please help

Eric10

Feb 16, 2024
End of story with a timeline:
Submitted withdrawal on Sept 15th. Received a paper letter saying withdrawal was successful on Oct 6th. The tracker was marked as complete with withdrawal on Oct 6th. Submitted another application already and things are smooth so far, as if the withdrawal didn't happen.
Thank you, especially @dpenabill and @adbcca
Hi there,

I face the similar question that I miss calculate my presence date and I withdraw my previous application and got my fee back, then I create a new application with new account and new receipt, but now still not receive my aor yet(even though they said they already proceed application later than mine), just curious for your case, will the second application postpone your aor receiving time?

cyber

Apr 26, 2024
Hi i had applied for citizenship and pass citizenship test and got online interview.During the interview officer told that i am short for 40 days and advise me to withdraw my application.After that i submit withdraw request and its been 3 months no update.I did submit webform and they said my case was assigned to an agent on feb 8th after one week of submission if they need anythinng more will update i also called and agent said its in review.But so far no mews and its 3 and half month i am waiting.Does anyone knows how long it takes to withdraw citizenship application? and what could be possible reason of delay.I am afraid they dont put me in trouble by saying misrepresentation or somthing ???

Alalac

Oct 2, 2021
Hi i had applied for citizenship and pass citizenship test and got online interview.During the interview officer told that i am short for 40 days and advise me to withdraw my application.After that i submit withdraw request and its been 3 months no update.I did submit webform and they said my case was assigned to an agent on feb 8th after one week of submission if they need anythinng more will update i also called and agent said its in review.But so far no mews and its 3 and half month i am waiting.Does anyone knows how long it takes to withdraw citizenship application? and what could be possible reason of delay.I am afraid they dont put me in trouble by saying misrepresentation or somthing ???
No, you can withdraw your application at any time

LargeLanguageModelBot

Star Member
Sep 6, 2023
Hello. I talked about my timeline on the first page, and as far as I know I'm the only one who has ever shared such a timeline on this forum. So you've got a single data point about how long it takes for the withdrawl process.
The office was Vancouver (downtown Vancouver), btw. I received a hard copy of the withdrawl letter.

cyber

Apr 26, 2024
yes i read your post but the thing is i do not find why they waste so much time for nothing

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
yes i read your post but the thing is i do not find why they waste so much time for nothing
As I have observed elsewhere, if the applicant is short of meeting the physical presence requirement as of the date the application for citizenship is made, there is no chance (absent someone making a big mistake) that application will lead to citizenship. It must be denied.

Unless the applicant withdraws the short-application, IRCC cannot summarily deny it . . . even if it is plainly obvious the applicant is short. The applicant is entitled to a hearing and a chance to submit evidence they did meet the presence requirement. All the way to a hearing with a Citizenship Judge if the applicant does not withdraw the application. That can take a year or even two. IRCC has no choice given the rights of applicants. So the choice, as you say, to "waste so much time for nothing," is entirely the applicant's choice to make.

There is no doubt: if short of meeting the physical presence requirement, best thing to do is withdraw the application.

Note: for someone whose application might involve other issues, a request to withdraw the application is not likely to stop IRCC from pursuing whatever other issue has been raised by the application.

Reactions: cyber