+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LMIA Work permit refused for language ability - what is the minimum IELTS score required?

mohan2see

Dec 26, 2017
Hi!

My brother submitted an LMIA based workpermit application for Head Cashier position. GCMS notes says rejected due to language ability. Now, we are trying to submit the WP application with IELTS score. But wondering what is the minimum required score for this position?

Position : Head Cashier
NOC : 6211
TEER Category : 2

Below is from GCMS Notes

One of the LMIA requirements is to be able to communicate in English. Applicant did not provide any IRCC approved language result. I note that PA obtained Bachelor of Science in 2008, transcript provided on file shows PA obtained 40% in English - unclear how this translates into an IRCC approved test result. Furthermore, as 16 years have passed, I am not satisfied that this document represents PA's present language ability.

Based on the documentation submitted, I am not satisfied that the applicant will be able to adequately perform the proposed work given their:
-Insufficient ability in the language of the proposed employment

Weighing the factors in this application, I am not satisfied that the applicant will depart Canada at the end of the period authorized for their stay.
For the reasons above, I have refused this application.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi!

My brother submitted an LMIA based workpermit application for Head Cashier position. GCMS notes says rejected due to language ability. Now, we are trying to submit the WP application with IELTS score. But wondering what is the minimum required score for this position?

Position : Head Cashier
NOC : 6211
TEER Category : 2

Below is from GCMS Notes

One of the LMIA requirements is to be able to communicate in English. Applicant did not provide any IRCC approved language result. I note that PA obtained Bachelor of Science in 2008, transcript provided on file shows PA obtained 40% in English - unclear how this translates into an IRCC approved test result. Furthermore, as 16 years have passed, I am not satisfied that this document represents PA's present language ability.

Based on the documentation submitted, I am not satisfied that the applicant will be able to adequately perform the proposed work given their:
-Insufficient ability in the language of the proposed employment

Weighing the factors in this application, I am not satisfied that the applicant will depart Canada at the end of the period authorized for their stay.
For the reasons above, I have refused this application.
What province? CLB 5 is probably the minimum but aim for CLB 7.

Lapta

Star Member
Jul 3, 2015
what was the refusal reason on initial refusal letter? and after how many days you got GCMS notes

mohan2see

Dec 26, 2017
Initial response : You were not able to demonstrate that you will be able to adequately perform the work you seek.
GCMS came in 3 weeks

Reactions: Lapta

mohan2see

Dec 26, 2017
NSNP says CLB 5 for TEER 0,1,2,3. Guess its really open to interpretation as I couldn't find real documentation for work permit.

mohan2see

Dec 26, 2017
Unrelated question : if LMIA expires April 2025, does that mean work permit will be issued with end date as April 2025?

Lapta

Star Member
Jul 3, 2015
Unrelated question : if LMIA expires April 2025, does that mean work permit will be issued with end date as April 2025?
No, that's LMIA expiry date, which means you have to get approval and apply for work permit before April 2025.
if the LMIA says 2 years work duration then you will get 2 years work permit on entry date

Reactions: mohan2see