+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Divorced outside Canada (Is it necessary to register my divorce in Canada too?)

Nomi2012

Sep 27, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I'm a Canadian-Pakistani (naturalized Canadian citizen) who left Canada with my family in 2014. Since then, I have been employed and living outside Canada. In 2015, I obtained a divorce from my wife through the local Union council in Pakistan, which was duly registered with NADRA, the Pakistani government agency. Therefore, I possess the divorce certificate issued by NADRA, authenticated by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.(NB: I was married to my wife in Pakistan under the Pakistani marriage laws).

Considering my situation, I am uncertain whether it is necessary to register my divorce in Canada too. If so, how?

Please guide me in this matter, and I would be grateful

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Considering my situation, I am uncertain whether it is necessary to register my divorce in Canada too. If so, how?
There is no such procedure. In some contexts (mostly civil eg someone sues you) you may need to demonstrate the divorce documents and possibly get an opinion that the divorce is valid. This is required, in some cases, to get re-married in Canada.

It would be a good idea to have the docs translated and copies in English, which may be what the authenticated MFA copies serve as. If the docs you refer to are equivalent of extract from the civil registry, you should not have any problem in Canada.

If you're remaining in Pakistan, no issue in Canada.

Nomi2012

Sep 27, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you so much! Appreciate it!

I got married in 2017 again. I have 2 kids from my second wife. Do I need to provide proof of divorce when applying for the Canadian citizenship certificates for my young kids?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thank you so much! Appreciate it!

I got married in 2017 again. I have 2 kids from my second wife. Do I need to provide proof of divorce when applying for the Canadian citizenship certificates for my young kids?
No. You will need to show that you are one of the parents. That would not change even if you were not married or divorced from previous spouse.

Reactions: Nomi2012