+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Cannabis laws for Tourists

canadalove27

Jan 19, 2019
Hi,

Please take my question for serious:

I might got to Canada, Alberta for 6 months and rent a holidayhouse now I am asking my self: Am I allowed to grow 4 cannabis plants in this Holiday house if I am under a Tourist?

I found this in the internet:

"grow, from licensed seed or seedlings, up to 4 cannabis plants per residence for personal use"

https://www.justice.gc.ca/eng/cj-jp/cannabis/

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Cannot answer your specific question but in the first instance you should probably out courtesy ask the rental property owner if they are ok with that. Also why bother growing and not just buy where available. You cannot take out of Canada either at end of your stay, either as plants or final product. Although no idea where you are from if you ever plan visiting the US they have been known recently to deny entry to cannabis users or growers although latter tends to be commercial growers.

Last edited:

russ6970

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2017
Newfoundland
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
31-12-2020
From what I have seen you can have up to 4 plants per the new legislation. I think if you are there for 6 months only, it would be a lot easier to buy from the stores to be honest (don't know what stores do it in Alberta as I am in Newfoundland). Some holiday lets don't allow smoking anything, never mind growing the plants, so you would have to inquire about that when arranging the let. Cannabis laws are for everyone in the country, doesn't mater if you are a tourist. Just don't take it with you when you leave.

canadalove27

Jan 19, 2019
Cannot answer your specific question but in the first instance you should probably out courtesy ask the rental property owner if they are ok with that. Also why bother growing and not just buy where available. You cannot take out of Canada either at end of your stay, either as plants or final product. Although no idea where you are from if you ever plan visiting the US they have been known recently to deny entry to cannabis users or growers although latter tends to be commercial growers.
Well I woul do this Growing more for fun. and the owner of the house would be ok with that but he doesnt know exactly the laws. And I will store it at a friends house.

russ6970

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2017
Newfoundland
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
31-12-2020
Well I woul do this Growing more for fun. and the owner of the house would be ok with that but he doesnt know exactly the laws. And I will store it at a friends house.
I must admit, I am not really a user, but I understand the fascination with the plants. I thought of getting 1 or 2 as well. If he is ok with it, the law is 4 plants.

Jun 21, 2022
I went to Canada once in my life. I am from Europe, and in most countries here, cannabis is restricted, so the first thing I did was visit the Best Oklahoma dispensaries. I was there for six months, and I was thinking of growing my planet, but I was told at the dispensary I needed to have a residential visa for this. I would assume the risk and grow the plant, but then I understood that I wouldn't know what to do with all that cannabis before returning home to Europe. Selling wasn't an option because I don't have the necessary license.

Last edited:

Yiceorenil

Jul 8, 2021
It's awesome to see folks discussing cannabis laws for tourists. It's definitely a hot topic with Canada's legalization. My take? Well, I believe it's crucial for visitors to understand and respect the laws of the land they're in, including those surrounding cannabis. It's all about being a responsible traveler and respecting local customs. After all, when in Rome, do as the Romans do, right?

Now, about that texas helpline you mentioned, sounds intriguing! I wonder how they handle cannabis-related inquiries there. Must be quite the contrast to Canada's approach!

Last edited: