+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Application for study permit for Refugee's underage outside Canada.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Can a refugee apply for study permit for her underage child that is outside Canada?. Please what is the success rate?
You can try but it is low since you applied for asylum. Child pays international fees so budget $25k per year for public school. You have to show tuition and living expenses.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
My child is just in Kindergarten.
So. Your child has to pay international fees. Each school board has international tuition so you need to get admission and pay for tuition, and provide funds for living expenses. This totals around $25k per year. You want to show that you not only have funds for the first year but then next 2-3 years plus living expenses for yourself. So over $100k. Given you claimed asylum then IRCC knows that child will claim once in Canada. Chances are almost nil. You most likely will have to wait to sponsor child once PR.

Also you need a Canadian custodian to take responsibility for your child since you have claimed asylum and don’t have a decision.

A custodian is a responsible adult, who is a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident, who will take care of and support the minor child.

How would child even travel to Canada?

Last edited:

God's own 269

Apr 28, 2024
So. Your child has to pay international fees. Each school board has international tuition so you need to get admission and pay for tuition, and provide funds for living expenses. This totals around $25k per year. You want to show that you not only have funds for the first year but then next 2-3 years plus living expenses for yourself. So over $100k. Given you claimed asylum then IRCC knows that child will claim once in Canada. Chances are almost nil. You most likely will have to wait to sponsor child once PR.

Also you need a Canadian custodian to take responsibility for your child since you have claimed asylum and don’t have a decision.

A custodian is a responsible adult, who is a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident, who will take care of and support the minor child.

How would child even travel to Canada?
Thank you so much for your response. My mom is PR and my brother is a citizen. So I think he can sponsor him?. Can a grand mom not sponsor an underage grand child?. Though my mom does not work.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I was thinking primary and secondary education is free for kids. Just daycare.
Not free if you are not citizen or PR. You claimed asylum and your child is not in Canada so not eligible for free education. Chances are nil for approval since you came to Canada without your child. Once you are PR, you can sponsor child and then child is eligible for free education.

So for now, your child has to come on study permit and pay international fees. If even approved but you need school admission, pay tuition, show living expenses and find a Canadian guardian.

Did you claim asylum or are you a private/government sponsored refugee? If claimed asylum then plan to be separated from child for several years until PR.

Last edited:

God's own 269

Apr 28, 2024
Not free if you are not citizen or PR. You claimed asylum and your child is not in Canada so not eligible for free education. Chances are nil for approval since you came to Canada without your child. Once you are PR, you can sponsor child and then child is eligible for free education.

So for now, your child has to come on study permit and pay international fees. If even approved but you need school admission, pay tuition, show living expenses and find a Canadian guardian.

Did you claim asylum or are you a private/government sponsored refugee? If claimed asylum then plan to be separated from child for several years until PR.
Thank you so much for your reply.