+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Wrong Visa Issued - need advice!

Jillian

Mar 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Hi there,

I am having an issue regarding this topic...

There's been an error in my spouses' paperwork and immigration issued him the wrong visa:

1) We applied for perm residency under the common-law sponsorship
2) At the same time, we applied - BEFORE his initial 1 year working visa expired - for him to get a TRP to allow him to continue to work until a decision was made on his permanent residency.
3) Immigration issued him a visitor visa for one year...which doesn't allow him to work or go to school.

We have taken the necessary steps to rectify this issue (i.e. written letters to immigration, including a letter from his employer stating that they wantt him to continue there), but what are the next steps?

Does Immigration make only final decisions or might they change their decision on this error/issue?

Has anyone heard of or had an experience like this?

Any help would be really appreciated.

Thank you!

Jillian

Mar 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
First off, thank you for your advice...I very much appreciate it an it eases the stress a little bit.

One further question:

Do you think just sending in a letter informing Immigration of the corrections that need to be made is enough?

I had thought maybe we should send in everything for our visa again, and basically just start from the beginning, but that may be more confusing. Also, Immigration has refunded us some of the original amount we paid for the working visa, stating of course that we overpaid for just a visitor visa (at which point it should have been obvious on the paperwork that something was amiss). We haven't cashed that refund, but should we just pay again, and get a new receipt just to avoid yet another further delay or miscommunication?

Do you know if Immigration Canada generally calls applicants when it seems there may be a miscommunication somewhere? I mean, to the point where they refunded us our money should have been an indicator that clarification was necessary.

Again, thank you so much for any advice that can be provided.