+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Wrong Name in GCkey account

malaika_

May 16, 2021
In my passport, I have no last name, so I know I'm supposed to put all my names in the last name column, but when I was creating my GCkey account I wasn't aware of this, so I put my first name in the first name column and last name in the last name column, now I've already submitted my study permit application (everything is correct in it) all I want to know is if the GCkey account name matters and if it is ok, or if something will go wrong due to this mistake, and if it does, how do I rectify it?

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
In my passport, I have no last name, so I know I'm supposed to put all my names in the last name column, but when I was creating my GCkey account I wasn't aware of this, so I put my first name in the first name column and last name in the last name column, now I've already submitted my study permit application (everything is correct in it) all I want to know is if the GCkey account name matters and if it is ok, or if something will go wrong due to this mistake, and if it does, how do I rectify it?
Actually what you did was right than what you knew before. Your wrong choice is right one to the immigration. If you dont have surname, you put your first name on first name column and repeat your second name into surname column. Lets say

Raj Bilal

first column: Raj
Second column as middle name: Bilal
Surname: Bilal

it will read Raj Bilal Bilal

malaika_

May 16, 2021
Actually what you did was right than what you knew before. Your wrong choice is right one to the immigration. If you dont have surname, you put your first name on first name column and repeat your second name into surname column. Lets say

Raj Bilal

first column: Raj
Second column as middle name: Bilal
Surname: Bilal

it will read Raj Bilal Bilal
No? If you don't have last name in your passport then you put your entire name in the last name column, and leave the given name empty.

You're not supposed to do how you said

https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=014&top=4

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
No? If you don't have last name in your passport then you put your entire name in the last name column, and leave the given name empty.

You're not supposed to do how you said

https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=014&top=4
Thanks Malaika, i’ve revisit guidelines and you are correct and im wrong. I retract that. There must have been changes under Identity Management Name structure document as i recall a friend of mine from India had similar issue and that how he was guided in 2016.

zenin21

May 12, 2023
did you happen to have any problems? I am currently facing the same issue and i accidentally did the same thing as you for my gckey accojnt

Huzaifa57

Jul 23, 2023
Hi, While creating GCKey account I entered my Given name as my first name but in my Passport Given name includes My name and father's name and I am not able to update the same, will that create any issue while completing my application?