+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Would like to immigrate via language program... realistic?

VadimOm

Feb 24, 2009
I've read that students who studied in Canada for more than a year are eligible to apply for permanent residence. Does this mean that I could come to Canada as a language student, learn English and then apply for residency? I'm an experienced IT professional (bachelor's in Computer Science) but with no managerial experience (which disqualifies me from applying as a skillful worker). Hence my question - is it realistic to immigrate to Canada by becoming language student first, getting study permit, studying for 1 year and then applying?

Any information appreciated,
Thank you
-Vadim

BCguy

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2008
Vancouver British Columbia
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
16-03-1976
You need to graduate in QUALIFIED COURSES in most International Graduate categories Try something else to study

VadimOm

Feb 24, 2009
On Canadian Immigration Center web site it says nothing about graduation...

1. According to the Minister’s instructions, your application is eligible for processing if:

* you have an offer of arranged employment, OR
* you are a foreign national who has been living legally in Canada for one year as a temporary foreign worker or an international student, OR
* you are a skilled worker who has at least one year of experience in one or more of the occupations listed here.

but I can't find any statements which would exclude language students from this category....

rupeshhari

VIP Member
Sep 15, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec 2008 to CIO
Doc's Request.
Jan 2009
AOR Received.
Feb 2009 from VO
IELTS Request
Didn't do IELTS.
File Transfer...
Not transfered to regional office.
Med's Request
July 2010 with RPRF and another PCC.
Med's Done....
Meds - September 2010. PCC - Late Oct 2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Early November 2010
VISA ISSUED...
December 2010 - Exactly days shy of 2 years since I sent in my application to CIO.
LANDED..........
i think the exclusion for language program comes under CEC, perhaps not for FSW.

VadimOm

Feb 24, 2009
That's a very good point.

When I go through the eligibility tool (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/tool/index.asp) - my profession is NOT on the list 38.

However, it does show up under Natural and Applied Sciences and Related Occupations -> Computer and Information Systems Professionals (Skill Level A)

As I proceed thought the questionnaire, I get to this question:

Are you currently living legally in Canada
* as a temporary foreign worker or student and
* you have been for at least one year?

If I answer NO - I'm not eligible. If I answer YES - I'm eligible under FSW but not under CEC. The only thing I'm trying to figure out now is whether or not I'm actually allowed to answer "YES" to the question about while being just a language (a non-degree seeking) student.

BCguy

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2008
Vancouver British Columbia
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
16-03-1976
Most of the Provincial International Graduate Categories specify eligible courses for example BC has Business,Engineering,Sciences and Medical Field Graduates ONLY