+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Working while having a study permit

Sarantos

Star Member
Apr 14, 2017
Hi all,

I'm currently studying at the moment and see that it's possible to work 20 hours a week or full time during winter,summer or spring break.

As of June 1, 2014, you may qualify to work off campus without a work permit. If you qualify, your study permit will allow you to:

• work up to 20 hours per week during regular academic sessions and
  • work full-time during scheduled breaks, such as the winter and summer holidays or spring break.

I've been currently offered to work more than 20 hours at a job over 3 days.Friday Saturday Sunday.. Days that don't interfere with my college.

Is this possible to do?
How do immigration know how many hours you're working a week?

assen89

Jun 30, 2017
Hi all,

I'm currently studying at the moment and see that it's possible to work 20 hours a week or full time during winter,summer or spring break.

As of June 1, 2014, you may qualify to work off campus without a work permit. If you qualify, your study permit will allow you to:

• work up to 20 hours per week during regular academic sessions and
  • work full-time during scheduled breaks, such as the winter and summer holidays or spring break.

I've been currently offered to work more than 20 hours at a job over 3 days.Friday Saturday Sunday.. Days that don't interfere with my college.

Is this possible to do?
How do immigration know how many hours you're working a week?
You are not allowed to work more than 20 hour during an academic session. If you do,you will be violating the conditions of your study permit. Just tell your employer you are not able to.

N

newtoexpressentry

why risk ur future for a few extra hours of pay?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
The rules are in place for a purpose whether is a weekday or a weekend and if you break the rules there is always a chance with later applications when you might get asked for tax returns for example or employment history or references and it will become obvious you have broken the rules.

Then you could probably say good bye to. PGWP or PR be asked to leave and worst case banned for a few years. Stick to the rules is always the advice when dealing with anything that comes into contact with immigration given as a temp resident your rights are limited.

hejsamuel

Star Member
Feb 7, 2016
I heard that 20-hour limit does not apply to on-campus jobs is that true? I am currently registered full-time because I am doing my undergraduate thesis. My PI is paying me for my working hours in the lab and it's 35 hours per week. Given that the job is on-campus, will I be in trouble?

assen89

Jun 30, 2017
I heard that 20-hour limit does not apply to on-campus jobs is that true? I am currently registered full-time because I am doing my undergraduate thesis. My PI is paying me for my working hours in the lab and it's 35 hours per week. Given that the job is on-campus, will I be in trouble?
Consequences and resource:
According to Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC), any breach of a permit can lead to a student being defined as “non-compliant.” If they then do not stop the activities that caused the breach, the Canada Border Services Agency could take action, or their study permit could be made invalid. According to the CIC website, “it may also negatively affect future application made under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and its regulations.”
I have a friend that worked more than 20 hours while he was still a student,and he didn't have any issues.
However,you never know, when it's time for him to apply for PR or Canadian citizenship,CIC might dig into your records and if they find out HE violated the conditions under your study permit it could have repercussions.

Last edited: