+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Working/Student

OtherSide23

Jun 26, 2014
Hey guys, so I've got a couple of questions.

I'm from QLD, Australia and have been accepted at the University of Alberta, Edmonton campus for fall semester (sep3 - dec 3)
Now I'm studying for under 4 months and have been told that I don't need a student visa for this, which is cool. However, when I finish / whilst I'm studying I want to work, so I've applied for an IEC working holiday visa, as I don't know what other path to take. It says I can't have a student permit at the same time (which I don't), am I doing the right thing here?

Also, where do I upload my traffic history? There doesn't seem to be a spot on the required documents, so if I upload it as the letter of explanation, I'm hoping that will be fine?

Thanks for your time!

Sincerely, confused Australian :p

OtherSide23

Jun 26, 2014
3. Is it possible to enrol in a course during my stay in Canada while participating in the IEC initiative?

Yes, but the course (or courses) must be completed within a six-month period. You may not sign up for a course that is part of a program lasting more than six months (such as a two-year program or four-year degree program). In this case, a separate study permit would be required. The working holiday experiences through International Experience Canada may not be combined with formal studies. For more information about studying in Canada and work opportunities as a student, visit the Council of Ministers of Education website, and for scholarships, visit the International Scholarships website.

Okay, so I've found this, however, the wording is slightly confusing. Is this saying that I can study or is my study considered 'formal' and I need a work permit.