+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Working in US, moved to Canada after PR

leo_CA

Sep 24, 2019
Hello all

Wanted to share my situation, if anyone has knowledge on it, kindly let me know.

I moved to Canada in 2 week of Jan. 2021 as a PR. Before moving was working for an employer with a valid work visa in USA. After moving , I continued to work from Canada remotely for the US employer with the same visa. During this time, I was paid in USD deposited in US bank account and tax withheld as well. So I’ll be receiving W2. The address in W2 would be my US address listed(although I wasn’t physically present there). Basically let’s say I just carried my laptop to Canada and worked from here.

End of June, my employment ended with the US based company and started working from July with a CAD payroll and a Canada based employer.

I only stayed physically for 2 weeks in US in 2021 but continued to receive US income from Jan to June.

So my questions:
1) Do I need to file tax to IRS?
2) I shall show my US income while filing Canada tax, also show tax withheld in US and apply for foreign credit right?
3) My US w2 will have state tax withheld as well, what happens to that, is there a way to show that to CRA as well?
4) How and where shall I report my investment gains/losses of my US brokerage?

Many thanks and looking forward to your suggestions

Last edited: