+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Working in between programs

Jayjay88

Jan 26, 2022
Hello, May I ask for your advice because I am getting mixed interpretations about the rule on
"Students who have completed a program of study and will be starting a new program of study within 150 days of receiving a written confirmation of program completion from their current institution"

My HCA program ended August 10 and I will start a criminology program at another DLI (with LOA) on January 3. Can I work while waiting for school to begin on January 3?

Thank you in advance.

forevermore76

May 19, 2024
Hello, May I ask for your advice because I am getting mixed interpretations about the rule on
"Students who have completed a program of study and will be starting a new program of study within 150 days of receiving a written confirmation of program completion from their current institution"

My HCA program ended August 10 and I will start a criminology program at another DLI (with LOA) on January 3. Can I work while waiting for school to begin on January 3?

Thank you in advance.
What's exactly your question? You have already found the answer on IRCC website.

Jayjay88

Jan 26, 2022
Hello, My question is can I work?

I found two sources related to my situation:

1) services/study-canada/work/work-off-campus.html
> if you’re starting a new study program
You can work full-time if you meet all of these requirements:
- You were already able to work off campus during your previous studies ( I was not able to work previously)
- You have a valid study permit or you applied to extend your study permit before it expired
- You received written confirmation from your current school that you completed your program
- You received a letter of acceptance to a new full-time study program at a DLI
- You’ll start your new program within 150 calendar days of receiving the confirmation that you completed your previous program

2) corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/study-permits/campus-work.html#off-campus
> Students who have completed a program of study and will be starting a new program of study within 150 days of receiving a written confirmation of program completion from their current institution
Students may work off campus on a full-time basis until the start of their new program if the following applies:
- they meet the eligibility criteria to work off campus [R186(v)]
- they have received written confirmation of program completion from their current institution (for instance, a transcript or an official letter)
- they have submitted an application to change conditions, extend their stay or remain in Canada as a student before their current study permit expired, or they still have a valid study permit
- they have been issued a letter of acceptance to a subsequent program of full-time study at a DLI and will be starting the new program within 150 calendar days of receiving a notification of program completion from their current institution

I am confused by the text in red but I meet all other requirements. Can you please help me?
Thanks in advance.

forevermore76

May 19, 2024
Hello, My question is can I work?

I found two sources related to my situation:

1) services/study-canada/work/work-off-campus.html
> if you’re starting a new study program
You can work full-time if you meet all of these requirements:
- You were already able to work off campus during your previous studies ( I was not able to work previously)
- You have a valid study permit or you applied to extend your study permit before it expired
- You received written confirmation from your current school that you completed your program
- You received a letter of acceptance to a new full-time study program at a DLI
- You’ll start your new program within 150 calendar days of receiving the confirmation that you completed your previous program

2) corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/study-permits/campus-work.html#off-campus
> Students who have completed a program of study and will be starting a new program of study within 150 days of receiving a written confirmation of program completion from their current institution
Students may work off campus on a full-time basis until the start of their new program if the following applies:
- they meet the eligibility criteria to work off campus [R186(v)]
- they have received written confirmation of program completion from their current institution (for instance, a transcript or an official letter)
- they have submitted an application to change conditions, extend their stay or remain in Canada as a student before their current study permit expired, or they still have a valid study permit
- they have been issued a letter of acceptance to a subsequent program of full-time study at a DLI and will be starting the new program within 150 calendar days of receiving a notification of program completion from their current institution

I am confused by the text in red but I meet all other requirements. Can you please help me?
Thanks in advance.
If you don't meet all the requirements, you can't work.