+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Working holiday expiring - options to stay?

kostodian

Feb 8, 2015
Ok, here is a summary of my situation:

Australian male, 30 years old, here in Canada on the International Experience Canada (Working holiday program) for the second time. Work permit expires this coming October 2015, I'll be 31 by then.

I am currently working in a non-skilled capacity but am a common law partner to my girlfriend who is British and has been working as a skilled worker here in Canada for 3 years.

She has recently submitted an application for permanent residency via the Canadian Experience Class, with me listed a her common law partner, but I am worried that with wait/processing times that my working holiday visa may expire before it gets approved.

Is there anything more I can do to extend my stay beyond having the PR application submitted. I know that the working holiday visa cannot be extended.

As a common law partner, would I still be eligible for a bridging open work permit with a working holiday visa, if the PR application be in its pre-approved stages?

Or, could I also apply for a temporary work permit through my employer (get LMIA etc) while the PR application is still in progress? Can you even have 2 different applications submitted to CIC at once?

Failing both of these, I assume I could stay as a visitor?...least preferred option of course!

Appreciate any information you can provide, thank you!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You don't qualify for a Bridging Open Work permit at this time.

If your common law partner has a skilled job, you should be able to apply for a spousal open work permit.

Getting your employer to obtain an LMIA and then applying for a closed work permit is another option.