+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Working abroad but the family in Canada

Chinkazus

Star Member
Dec 24, 2010
Hello, friends

I might be laid off from my work in Canada and received a job offer from Dubai. I own a house in Canada, my wife and teenage child live with me, We are paying property tax, receive child benefit. My question: if I go alone to work in Dubai for a few years but my family stays in Canada what would the situation be? I am willing to continue paying property (as well as mortgage and insurance) for the house. Basically I am planning to send money to my family for all the bills and food. My wife is still unable to find a job in Canada due to her age so she will be taking care of the house and our son.
Should I become non-resident? What implications this situation is going to have on me and my family? Thank you

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Hello, friends

I might be laid off from my work in Canada and received a job offer from Dubai. I own a house in Canada, my wife and teenage child live with me, We are paying property tax, receive child benefit. My question: if I go alone to work in Dubai for a few years but my family stays in Canada what would the situation be? I am willing to continue paying property (as well as mortgage and insurance) for the house. Basically I am planning to send money to my family for all the bills and food. My wife is still unable to find a job in Canada due to her age so she will be taking care of the house and our son.
Should I become non-resident? What implications this situation is going to have on me and my family? Thank you
With your family still living in Canada and owning a property that they live in, it's unlikely that you can "cut the tie" and become non-resident. You will need to file your income tax with your foreign income. So yes, you will get a "good job" but you still need to pay income tax in Canada. I am not familiar with Dubai and Canada tax treaty which you may get "credit" of tax you paid in Dubai and don't need to double tax.
You should verify with an account who is familiar with foreign income and/or contact CRA.

On top of that, you will likely not qualify for BC medical health and will need to requalify once you return and live in Canada after you leave your job oversea.

Chinkazus

Star Member
Dec 24, 2010
With your family still living in Canada and owning a property that they live in, it's unlikely that you can "cut the tie" and become non-resident. You will need to file your income tax with your foreign income. So yes, you will get a "good job" but you still need to pay income tax in Canada. I am not familiar with Dubai and Canada tax treaty which you may get "credit" of tax you paid in Dubai and don't need to double tax.
You should verify with an account who is familiar with foreign income and/or contact CRA.

On top of that, you will likely not qualify for BC medical health and will need to requalify once you return and live in Canada after you leave your job oversea.
Thank you for responding. I guess I will have to talk to an accountant or at least to someone who is in the same situation.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You would still be a tax resident of Canada. Your wife and child would still be benefiting from services and benefits in Canada so if corse it makes sense that your family international income would be taxed in Canada. How people expect to not pay any taxes while getting CCB, education, healthcare, have access to other services/infrastructure, etc. boggles my mind.

Chinkazus

Star Member
Dec 24, 2010
You would still be a tax resident of Canada. Your wife and child would still be benefiting from services and benefits in Canada so if corse it makes sense that your family international income would be taxed in Canada. How people expect to not pay any taxes while getting CCB, education, healthcare, have access to other services/infrastructure, etc. boggles my mind.
I would love to remain a tax resident and continue paying my taxes. Good news!