+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work Permit Validity

dyguanit

Jul 28, 2014
I recently got laid off from my job last April 2014 but I still hold a valid work permit and TRV until 2015. Would I be allowed to leave and go travel? Or will I experience any problems at immigration? I have already sent off my PR application but have yet to receive a confirmation.

I also am having problems finding a job since most companies are hesitant to sponsor. Is there anyway to get a bridging open work permit even though the current one does not expire for awhile?

Thank you in advance for any advice!

canadavisa13

Champion Member
Jun 13, 2013
Hi dyguanit,

sorry to hear about your unfortunate situation.
1)even though your work permit and TRV are valid if you leave canada most likely you will face issues at the port of entry when coming back because your status is a worker and you currently have no job so its better advised not to leave canada under a work permit if you are laid off.
2)its near impossible to get a BOWP if your work permit is still valid for more then 4 months,the operational manual clearly states that,the fact that you got laid off is not a solid reason for cic to make your case an exception because if they open this door they know their office will be flooded with applications in similar situations.
i know how hard it is to get LMIA with the current changes to the TFWP,most employers are not willing to go that route but its not impossible,don't lose faith and keep looking you will surely but slowly reach the tunnel and see some light.

good luck.

dyguanit

Jul 28, 2014
Thanks for getting back to me. Does this hold true for the US-Canada border too? Or is it easier coming back from there?

And what if I have already lodged my application for Permanent Residency? Does that help and give me implied status of any kind?

Appreciate all the help!

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
Under some risk with your situation, how would CIC know that your employer has laid you off, unless they ask for a pay stub or check any sort of records for you CURRENTLY BEING EMPLOYED?

I know this puts you under quite a risk. But surviving in Canada without a job till close to expiry of work permit, is a significant challenge as well.

I can tell you in my experience that with valid work permit and every thing, one can travel back and forth to Canada without being asked for any thing about CURRENT STATUS of employment. My port of entry was Montreal though i know of friends using Ottawa as well. And of course my job was valid so i was carrying a recent pay stub plus a recently dated letter for continued employment. However, i was never asked for any of those. Just valid work permit upon reentry.

So may be if nothing else, you could take a chance on it.