+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work Permit (TN or IEC) vs PR (Express Entry)

MeganS10f10

Sep 18, 2021
Hello all, I am originally from the United States, and now want to live in Vancouver. I have a Masters in Architecture degree from the USA. I have already a job interview lined up in there. However, I am discovering some companies seem hesitant to interview me. Originally, I thought I could easily obtain a TN visa. However, the HR from the firm I am interviewing with discussed that if the Canadian immigration official suggests the firm complete a Labour Market Opinion, which is a very tedious process, then it is not possible to hire me. She also suggested the IEC program, but I do not know if this is more or less of a risk.

I am curious at how often the Labour Market Opinion is suggested and if I should be worried about my job search. I am actually hoping to get Permanent Residence with Express Entry in about a year or two, but I wanted to start working in Canada as soon as January 2022 and not wait 6+ months for the Express Entry PR to kick in. However, if the PR is by far the most secure option, I would consider starting this now in case a work permit does not work out for many months. Is it possible or advisable to start Express Entry and an work permit application simultaneously? I greatly hope to know your best advice.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello all, I am originally from the United States, and now want to live in Vancouver. I have a Masters in Architecture degree from the USA. I have already a job interview lined up in there. However, I am discovering some companies seem hesitant to interview me. Originally, I thought I could easily obtain a TN visa. However, the HR from the firm I am interviewing with discussed that if the Canadian immigration official suggests the firm complete a Labour Market Opinion, which is a very tedious process, then it is not possible to hire me. She also suggested the IEC program, but I do not know if this is more or less of a risk.

I am curious at how often the Labour Market Opinion is suggested and if I should be worried about my job search. I am actually hoping to get Permanent Residence with Express Entry in about a year or two, but I wanted to start working in Canada as soon as January 2022 and not wait 6+ months for the Express Entry PR to kick in. However, if the PR is by far the most secure option, I would consider starting this now in case a work permit does not work out for many months. Is it possible or advisable to start Express Entry and an work permit application simultaneously? I greatly hope to know your best advice.
Much easier to get work if you are a PR. Would start the express entry process as soon as possible. There hasn’t been a draw for FSWP for quite some time. If an LMIA is required most employers are unwilling to go through the expense, time an effort unless you have really rare skill sets or employers have trouble getting those already in Canada to do the job. It’s unclear if your job will fall under free trade agreements between Canada/US/Mexico.

NavjotS123

Jul 6, 2019
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
Much easier to get work if you are a PR. Would start the express entry process as soon as possible. There hasn’t been a draw for FSWP for quite some time. If an LMIA is required most employers are unwilling to go through the expense, time an effort unless you have really rare skill sets or employers have trouble getting those already in Canada to do the job. It’s unclear if your job will fall under free trade agreements between Canada/US/Mexico.
I dont think TN visa requires LMIA.

MeganS10f10

Sep 18, 2021
Thanks for the comments. Can I try the NAFTA visa route and Express Entry at the same time in case NAFTA is not working? Would you recommend telling my potential employer I am trying the Express Entry as well? Ideally the NAFTA route works without the LMIA and I am working there much sooner...