+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work Permit for Spouse

mohir

Oct 23, 2009
Hello All,

My wife is just going to apply for her study permit. I was wondering if I need to apply separately for work permit or just as I am dependent to her I will be granted open work permit?

Another question is, if I get the work permit, do I have the right to study there as well? (as it is the case in UK) OR I have to apply for study permit within canada if I get accepted in the university?

Thank you for your time and any help will be appreciated!

Cheers!

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

mohir said:
Hello All,

My wife is just going to apply for her study permit. I was wondering if I need to apply separately for work permit or just as I am dependent to her I will be granted open work permit?

Another question is, if I get the work permit, do I have the right to study there as well? (as it is the case in UK) OR I have to apply for study permit within canada if I get accepted in the university?

Cheers!
1. You have to apply for the open work permit either at the same time or when you enter Canada.
2. You are either a worker or student, you can't be both. If you are accepted to a school you require a study permit, which annuls your work permit.

PMM

mohir

Oct 23, 2009
PMM said:
Hi

mohir said:
Hello All,

Cheers!
1. You have to apply for the open work permit either at the same time or when you enter Canada.
2. You are either a worker or student, you can't be both. If you are accepted to a school you require a study permit, which annuls your work permit.

PMM
Hi PMM,

Thanks for your reply. Could you please clarify me for the first question! I mean when I am in her application as a dependent, doesn't it mean that I will be granted the WP? You mean I have to fill a separate application in the same time as hers? Or you mean I will be given a work permit but at POE I should request to activate it or something like that?

I will be thankful if you can help me with this.

Thanks and I am eagerly waiting for a response!

caspirant

Aug 28, 2009
I have the same question as Mohir. My spouse just got the acceptance letter with Funding. She also has enough fund in our joint bank accounts. I want to accompany her as a dependent and need an open work permit.

So do I need to apply for an open work permit along with her study permit application? If so that form / document I need to submit? Or it will be granted automatically if she gets her study permit?

Thanks.

kalyan11069

Star Member
Oct 16, 2009
hi both of u guys

if ur wife get study visa u both can acompany with her and after landing there u guys has to apply for open work permit.
and a person having W/P can`t study , and same vice-versa

birch

Jun 2, 2013
Does anyone know if this couple had success?

Specifically I want to know what are the chances of getting an open work permit as a common law partner to an international student?
If anyone has experiences of this please share.
Thank you!

DIVYAZABI

Dec 3, 2012
Saskatoon
Category........
Visa Office......
Chennai, India
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July-15, 2013
Passport Req..
July-16, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
July-17,2013
LANDED..........
Sep-09,2013
So is the case with me.. I am going on study permit this Fall and I am fidning some ways to take along my husband on a OWP. I was told by my consultant that it is better for the common law partner to accompany the student after the First semester; just to strengthen the grounds that the student is genuine and that the dependent goes on to stay with him/her.

Although this point can never lead to visa rejection for both the student and his/her partner, I find it hard rather annoying to spend one full semester in a completely new environment that too in a new country without knwoing anyone around. I hate this idea as I am afraid that I cannot completely focus on all the things single-handedly apart from studies.

Does anyone know of anyother ways of possible accompaniment of the common law partner to International Students (From India especially) while landing in Canada? Post which can he/she apply for the OWP at teh POE?!

If I have it right, do they have to apply for a TRV while they can apply for a OWP after entering Canada?? How does it really work and what are the feaasible options with this regard??

Copuld somoene be of help with this query??

Rajan Grover

May 27, 2013
Hey Guys ,

Just one question My spouse is in Canada on study permit , so I am planning to apply for visitor visa or open work permit.

In order to apply visa in this category should I need to take IELTS or not.

Kindly advice.

Regards
Rajan

DIVYAZABI

Dec 3, 2012
Saskatoon
Category........
Visa Office......
Chennai, India
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......