+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work permit for internship - Please help!

Schnaute

Apr 22, 2014
Hey guys,

I just found this forum and I hope that I can find some help here, because I've gotten really confused these last few days.

First of my situation: I'm a German citizen currently studying for my Master's degree in the Netherlands. For my degree an internship of up to 6 month is compulsory an I was lucky enough to get an internship offer from a research lab associated with the University of Montreal.
I already know that I will need a work permit but I'm really unsure about my options here.
I applied for the IEC international Co-op internship program but I'm on place 508 from 400 so I don't think my chances are that great.
So I've been looking into the open work permits and now my question is: Would I need an LMO? I read that students and also researcher are exempt from that but does someone know if this applies in my case? Also what are the chances of getting such an open work permit?
I hope someone here on the forum knows more about this or had similar experiences maybe?
I am really grateful for an help I can get!

Thanks in advance!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
The IEC is really your best (possibly only) hope.

Otherwise you will need an approved LMO so that you can apply for a closed work permit. The researcher clause doesn't apply to you unfortunately.

Students are LMO exempt only if they completed their education in Canada. So once again, this clause doesn't apply to you.

Schnaute

Apr 22, 2014
Thank you so much for your reply...although I hoped it would be different. Fingers crossed I'll get a place via the IEC, although I guess chances are looking pretty slim.
From the visa office I now heard that I would be able to come to Canada without a work permit if I am a self funded researcher. Does anyone have any experience with that and knows what conditions apply here?