+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work permit extension and wife SOWP at the same time.

new-canada

Dec 31, 2022
Hi everyone, I have a query regarding my status

Currently I am in canada and my work permit expires on Jan 24th - 2023 & I explained my situation to My employer and he applied for a LMIA based work permit and it is in process. My wife is in India while extending my work permit can I apply open work permit for her?

when I checked processing timings work permit inside canada (167 days) and work permit outside canada days (9 weeks) both are different. So I was wondering how to do this process and get both permits at a time.

@scylla and @Naturgrl / anyone can you please help me out with this question.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi everyone, I have a query regarding my status

Currently I am in canada and my work permit expires on Jan 24th - 2023 & I explained my situation to My employer and he applied for a LMIA based work permit and it is in process. My wife is in India while extending my work permit can I apply open work permit for her?

when I checked processing timings work permit inside canada (167 days) and work permit outside canada days (9 weeks) both are different. So I was wondering how to do this process and get both permits at a time.

@scylla and @Naturgrl / anyone can you please help me out with this question.
Has your employer been approved for LMIA? When did they apply? Your employer doesn’t apply for a WP you apply for the WP. What type of WP do you currently have? Is your job NOC0, A or B?

new-canada

Dec 31, 2022
Has your employer been approved for LMIA? When did they apply? Your employer doesn’t apply for a WP you apply for the WP.
Yeah still LMIA application is in process, Intead of wasting time I am collecting all documents like marriage certs, Statements and all. So while doing this process this question came up.

After LMIA - next step:

Question 1 - When I apply for my extension can I apply open work permit for my wife?

Question 2- when I checked processing timings work permit inside canada (167 days) and work permit outside canada days (9 weeks) both are different. So I was wondering how to do this process and get both permits at a time.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yeah still LMIA application is in process, Intead of wasting time I am collecting all documents like marriage certs, Statements and all. So while doing this process this question came up.

After LMIA - next step:

Question 1 - When I apply for my extension can I apply open work permit for my wife?

Question 2- when I checked processing timings work permit inside canada (167 days) and work permit outside canada days (9 weeks) both are different. So I was wondering how to do this process and get both permits at a time.
If LMIA is still in process you may not get an answer before your WP expires. If that is the case you will have to stop working. If your employer gets a positive LMIA and your job is NOC 0, A or B you can apply for a closed work permit andan OWP for your spouse. When did your employer apply for the LMIA and have been contacted at alla? Posted processing times are just estimates and are often wrong. You will hear about the outcome of closed WP and OWP at different times not together.

new-canada

Dec 31, 2022
If LMIA is still in process you may not get an answer before your WP expires. If that is the case you will have to stop working. If your employer gets a positive LMIA and your job is NOC 0, A or B you can apply for a closed work permit andan OWP for your spouse. When did your employer apply for the LMIA and have been contacted at alla? Posted processing times are just estimates and are often wrong. You will hear about the outcome of closed WP and OWP at different times not together.
My employer applied on December 2nd week and waiting for Interview Call he hired an immigration lawyer so they are expecting to get a call by Jan 2nd week.

So if I apply for closed work permit (Inside canada) and if my wife apply for OWP(Outside Canada), how will the visa officer see my wifes application. Since even my applicaiton will be under process right?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
My employer applied on December 2nd week and waiting for Interview Call he hired an immigration lawyer so they are expecting to get a call by Jan 2nd week.

So if I apply for closed work permit and if my wife apply for OWP, how will visa officer see my wifes application. Since even my applicaiton will be under process right?
Is this a GSS application? Has the employer already posted your job opening for a month or did they start posting the job opening in December 2nd? Getting a call by January 2nd seems unlikely. LMIAs usually take around 3 months and you also have to factor in holiday time.

new-canada

Dec 31, 2022
Is this a GSS application? Has the employer already posted your job opening?
Yeah he posted a month ago not sure which stream but it is tech based company and he will be supporting me for my Permanent resisdancy stream as well and LMIA application is also submitted a week ago

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yeah he posted a month ago not sure which stream but it is tech based company and he will be supporting me for my Permanent resisdancy stream as well and LMIA application is also submitted a week ago
You are working on a very tight timeline and it is unlikely you will get approval for a WP before your WP ends. GSS WP processing seems to have gotten faster than it was a few months ago but processing in 2 weeks is very uncommon.

When you are able to apply for a WP your spouse can apply for an OWP as well.

new-canada

Dec 31, 2022
You are working on a very tight timeline and it is unlikely you will get approval for a WP before your WP ends. GSS WP processing seems to have gotten faster than it was a few months ago but processing in 2 weeks is very uncommon.

When you are able to apply for a WP your spouse can apply for an OWP as well.
Is there any alternate route like my employer calling ESDC/Service canada and explain the situation and get it moving faster.