+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work Permit being rejected

trishyfer

Nov 24, 2009
Hi - i have a friend who is trying to go for their work permit in Canada and keeps getting rejected.. what could they be doing wrong? they are trying to be self emplyed, they are skilled workers. any suggestions?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

trishyfer said:
Hi - i have a friend who is trying to go for their work permit in Canada and keeps getting rejected.. what could they be doing wrong? they are trying to be self emplyed, they are skilled workers. any suggestions?
Well HRSDC doesn't approve LMOs for Self employed so CIC doesn't issue work permits for self employed.

"FW 1 Temporary Foreign Worker Guidelines
2009-11-10
Where a person has applied for a work permit to operate a business or be self-employed simultaneously with submitting an application for permanent residence, they must also meet the
requirements of R205(a). It is expected that it would be a rare applicant who could satisfy an officer that their entry into Canada would provide a significant benefit before their eligibility for
permanent residence has been assessed.""

205. A work permit may be issued under section 200 to a foreign national who intends to perform work that
(a) would create or maintain significant social, cultural or economic benefits or opportunities for Canadian citizens or permanent residents;
(b) would create or maintain reciprocal employment of Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada in other countries;
(c) is designated by the Minister as being work that can be performed by a foreign national on the basis of the following criteria, namely,
(i) the work is related to a research, educational or training program, or
(ii) limited access to the Canadian labour market is necessary for reasons of public policy relating to the competitiveness of Canada's academic institutions or economy; or
(d) is of a religious or charitable nature.

PMM