+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work permit at the border port-of entry

sonjy

Feb 24, 2010
I have mounting questions for going to the border (port of entry) for the work permit, but I'll summarize them in two questions. I would appreciate anyone's expert advice on these:

I am in Alberta on an open work permit (dependent on my wife's work permit), which will expire in September 2010. Since my wife will be returning home to Korea in September, I need to apply for a new work permit based on my employment. My employer has agreed to apply for a new LMO for my position and we expect a positive LMO. Once I get the LMO, I understand I need to re-enter Canada at the border (Alberta - Montana border):

Q1: I am from Korea and Koreans have travel visa exemption. Do I apply for my work permit before I head to the border? Or should I just bring my job offer/ contract/ LMO and apply at the port of entry (some people say I can get the work permit at the border w/o applying beforehand)? I'm kind of confused as I hear both cases.

Q2: Do I need a medical exam before going to the border? Will I be notified of the medical exam if I need one?

Thank you-- :)

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

sonjy said:
I have mounting questions for going to the border (port of entry) for the work permit, but I'll summarize them in two questions. I would appreciate anyone's expert advice on these:

I am in Alberta on an open work permit (dependent on my wife's work permit), which will expire in September 2010. Since my wife will be returning home to Korea in September, I need to apply for a new work permit based on my employment. My employer has agreed to apply for a new LMO for my position and we expect a positive LMO. Once I get the LMO, I understand I need to re-enter Canada at the border (Alberta - Montana border):

Q1: I am from Korea and Koreans have travel visa exemption. Do I apply for my work permit before I head to the border? Or should I just bring my job offer/ contract/ LMO and apply at the port of entry (some people say I can get the work permit at the border w/o applying beforehand)? I'm kind of confused as I hear both cases.

Q2: Do I need a medical exam before going to the border? Will I be notified of the medical exam if I need one?

1. You can apply on line to Vegreville will the application for a new work permit with the LMO.
2. You require a medical if you are going to be in Canada longer than 6 months. See: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/medical/dcl.asp#k and you would need it before going to the border.

PMM

BranislavSr

Jul 4, 2009
Q1/ I am from a country which has travel visa exemption. Living in Alberta as well. Last summer I went back to my country and applied for a new work permit at the port of entry (airport Calagary) while coming back to Canada. I had no problem to get the work permit (it wasn't an open WP). I just have to give them a positive LMO and to pay $150.
Q2/ I didn't need a medical exam to get the WP.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

BranislavSr said:
Q1/ I am from a country which has travel visa exemption. Living in Alberta as well. Last summer I went back to my country and applied for a new work permit at the port of entry (airport Calagary) while coming back to Canada. I had no problem to get the work permit (it wasn't an open WP). I just have to give them a positive LMO and to pay $150.
Q2/ I didn't need a medical exam to get the WP.
Except the OP is a citizen of Korea, which means that for stays of greater than 6 months he requires a medical See:http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/medical/medexams-temp.asp

PMM

Boka

Feb 26, 2011
- I am from country which has travel visa exemption (Croatia). I have positiv LMO and employment contract.
- I would first apply for a temporary work permit at the border port-of entry, do you need a medical exam, a police record or other documents before going to the border?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Boka said:
- I am from country which has travel visa exemption (Croatia). I have positiv LMO and employment contract.
- I would first apply for a temporary work permit at the border port-of entry, do you need a medical exam, a police record or other documents before going to the border?
1. Yes, you can apply at a Port of Entry, you don't require a medical unless the job falls in the following category or you are coming as a live in caregiver or Agricultural worker.

"Jobs for which you need a medical examination

Depending on your intended occupation while in Canada, certain temporary foreign workers are required to undergo a medical examination. The following list provides examples of such occupations. This list is not all-inclusive.

1. Occupations that bring you into close contact (more than three hours a day or risk of exchange of body fluids) with people, namely:
* workers in the health sciences field
* clinical laboratory workers
* patient attendants in nursing and geriatric homes
* medical students admitted to Canada to attend university
* medical electives and physicians on short-term locums
* teachers of primary or secondary schools or other teachers of small children
* domestics
* workers who give in-home care to children, the elderly and the disabled
* day nursery employees
No, you don't require a police report.

aspire

Champion Member
Jul 13, 2009
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-02-2009
File Transfer...
29-03-2009
Med's Request
21-01-2011
Med's Done....
17-02-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
30-03-2011(pspt submitted 09-04-2011)
VISA ISSUED...
09-05-2011 (passport received 17-05-2011)
LANDED..........
26-06-2011
Hi,
Sorry if i have to reply with a question. I will be landing Canada on a work permit visa together with my husband having multiple entry visa. My NOC is class A, 3152 Registered Nurse. I want to apply for an open working permit for my husband at the port of entry. My questions are:

1. Is my husband eligible for an open work permit?
2. Can I apply it at the port of entry during landing? What are the requirements and documents to be shown at the port of entry if my husband will apply for an open working permit?
3. If I choose not to apply at the port of entry, can my husband apply for open working permit inside Canada?
4. Do LMO and job offer needed for the application of open working permit for my husband?
5. What are the chances of my husband of getting an open working permit?

PMM, Leon< Job_seeker, and other mates, please give your inputs. Thank you very much.

sonjy said:

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
aspire said:
Hi,
Sorry if i have to reply with a question. I will be landing Canada on a work permit visa together with my husband having multiple entry visa. My NOC is class A, 3152 Registered Nurse. I want to apply for an open working permit for my husband at the port of entry. My questions are:

1. Is my husband eligible for an open work permit? Yes
2. Can I apply it at the port of entry during landing? What are the requirements and documents to be shown at the port of entry if my husband will apply for an open working permit? Your WP and Marriage Contract
3. If I choose not to apply at the port of entry, can my husband apply for open working permit inside Canada? Yes
4. Do LMO and job offer needed for the application of open working permit for my husband? Not needed
5. What are the chances of my husband of getting an open working permit? If he gets a TRV, he should be able to get an OWP

PMM, Leon< Job_seeker, and other mates, please give your inputs. Thank you very much.

aspire

Champion Member
Jul 13, 2009
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-02-2009
File Transfer...
29-03-2009
Med's Request
21-01-2011
Med's Done....
17-02-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
30-03-2011(pspt submitted 09-04-2011)
VISA ISSUED...
09-05-2011 (passport received 17-05-2011)
LANDED..........
26-06-2011
Thank you very much job_seeker. God Bless you more!

Grgur

Jun 14, 2012
If i have Job offer and Lmo ...can i get work permit on the point of entry....I ma from Croatia

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
Yes, you may if you a job offer, LMO and are temporary resident visa exempt. You may also be required to pass a medical exam. See these links:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/apply-who-eligible.asp#enter

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/visas.asp#exemptions

Grgur said:
If i have Job offer and Lmo ...can i get work permit on the point of entry....I ma from Croatia

apimmigration

Jun 14, 2012
Please Help!!

Our US based company has a contract with a Canadian company to provide computer/business solutions services in Calgary, Canada. The employees we are sending over qualify under NAFTA as Computer Systems Analysts. My question is, do we need a Canadian "offer letter" as our employees will be working on a project at the client site in Canada? In the alternative, will a client letter for the provision of services along with an MSA and SOW suffice?

Karo2012

Aug 5, 2012
Hi Everyone,

I need some clarification about applying for an open work permit at a port of entry.

I am married to a full time international graduate student but I am based in the UK on a work permit. I understand that I can apply for an open work permit to join him in Canada by virtue of his own study permit which expires in Dec. 2013. I already have a multiple entry TRV (expires Nov. 2014) which I obtained for coming to Canada to get married to him last May.

1) I have lived all my life except for the last 2 years in my home country whose nationals are not TRV exempt. Do I need to submit a police report from both the UK and my home country as a supporting document? I have lived in the UK for the past 2 years.

2) How do I satisfy the immigration official at the border that I will leave Canada at the end of the validity of my work permit? Once I resign from my job in the UK and leave for Canada, my UK work permit becomes invalid and I cannot return to the UK except on a visitor's visa. Do I need a plane ticket for a journey back to my home country as a proof that I will leave Canada when my OWP expires? I intend to apply in October which is more than year away from Dec 2013. Are plane tickets issued/ re-bookable for more than a year in advance?

3) As of now, I have not yet been able to secure a job in Canada, and as such do not want to resign from my job in the UK till I am sure I have a job in Canada. If I don't get a job in Canada before applying for the OWP in October, I intend to return to the UK after submitting my OWP application at the border and spending about a week in Canada job hunting on the ground. Does my husband need to send me a letter of invitation for this visit?

4) What is the mode of payment for the application fee at the border? Can I pay in cash and how much does it cost?

5) I intend to bring with me the following documents: Marriage certificate, birth certificate, a copy of my husband's study permit, a copy of my husband's certificate of enrollment in his university, a copy of his international passport photo page, my bank statement, my educational certificates (Bachelor's and Master's degrees), my resume and previous letters of employment. Please what other supporting documents do I need to submit with my application?

Thank you so much in anticipation of your advice.