+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work permit and change of nationality

borderite

Dec 21, 2009
I am a citizen of Japan and a permanent resident of US. I live in US (sleep in US every night) and commute to work in Canada, having a valid Canadian work permit. I am now considering applying for US citizenship. If I do, I expect to become a US citizen before my work permit expires, and will lose my Japanese citizenship at the same time (as the Japanese law on nationality says that acceptance of another nationality implies loss of Japanese citizenship). I am wondering what would happen to my work permit then. I would appreciate your help.

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It shouldn't make a difference on your work permit as far as I know.

borderite said:
I am a citizen of Japan and a permanent resident of US. I live in US (sleep in US every night) and commute to work in Canada, having a valid Canadian work permit. I am now considering applying for US citizenship. If I do, I expect to become a US citizen before my work permit expires, and will lose my Japanese citizenship at the same time (as the Japanese law on nationality says that acceptance of another nationality implies loss of Japanese citizenship). I am wondering what would happen to my work permit then. I would appreciate your help.

borderite

Dec 21, 2009
Karlshammar said:
It shouldn't make a difference on your work permit as far as I know.
I asked the question, because the work permit shows information on my nationality, passport number, etc. I thought that my loss of Japanese citizenship may invalidate my work permit.

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Not as far as I know. The passport number change does not matter for sure; it is quite common to renew passports in the middle of a permit. I know; I did it. :)

borderite said:
I asked the question, because the work permit shows information on my nationality, passport number, etc. I thought that my loss of Japanese citizenship may invalidate my work permit.

borderite

Dec 21, 2009
Karlshammar said:
Not as far as I know. The passport number change does not matter for sure; it is quite common to renew passports in the middle of a permit. I know; I did it. :)
Thanks. It sounds that I would be Ok, proceding to become a US citizen.

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I would recommend calling the CIC call centre just to make sure, but I think it'll be just fine.

borderite said:
Thanks. It sounds that I would be Ok, proceding to become a US citizen.