+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work Off-campus after completion of studies and before PGWP's Application

Bend

Jun 25, 2013
Dear All,

I had a quick query. I am hoping to apply for my PGWP in September 2016, after completing my degree requirements. One of my firm has offered me a temporary project for 8-12 weeks, starting in late july 2016. I have told them about the 20 hours per week, rule.

What I am concerned about is whether I can still work for 20 hours after I complete my degree requirements and (i) before I apply for PGWP and (ii) after I apply for PGWP.

I have read somewhere that we cannot work for even 20 hours after we complete the studies, until we apply for the PGWP. I thought that the study permit remains valid for 90 days after completion so its work conditions should remain valid, no?

I would really appreciate your response. So worried! I really need this job to save some money.

Best,
Bend

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
See here http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/students/post-grad.asp not sure you can work once you have completed your course and no longer a student unless you have actually put in your application for a PGWP and waiting on a decision on that which moves you to an implied status. Others can comment if i got it wrong but read the link anyway

Bend

Jun 25, 2013
Noted, thank you! After applying for PGWP, can I work full time? 186(w) is silent on full time or part time bit.