+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work in Canada after study without PGWP

xeace

Dec 31, 2016
Hello everyone,

I am an international student and i just completed my program of study.
I came to Canada in September 2015 and was issued a study permit with the only condition "MUST LEAVE CANADA BY YYYY/MM/DD". I want to apply for PGWP as soon as possible, however i might get a job offer before i get the PGWP.
Is it possible for me to start working before i get my PGWP and without any conditions related to work eligibility in my study permit?

I've already tried to find the answer on cic.gc.ca website, but I could not find this exact situation.
Please Help.

J5M

Champion Member
May 15, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

xeace said:
Hello everyone,

I am an international student and i just completed my program of study.
I came to Canada in September 2015 and was issued a study permit with the only condition "MUST LEAVE CANADA BY YYYY/MM/DD". I want to apply for PGWP as soon as possible, however i might get a job offer before i get the PGWP.
Is it possible for me to start working before i get my PGWP and without any conditions related to work eligibility in my study permit?

I've already tried to find the answer on cic.gc.ca website, but I could not find this exact situation.
Please Help.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1181&top=15

xeace

Dec 31, 2016
Thanks for reply, but I can't determine if i were eligible to work off campus without a permit as well. The article you sent has a link to "Determine if you can work off campus" and it says that i might be eligible if i maintain full time student status and remain enrolled in program. Do i maintain full time student status and remain enrolled if i finished my program?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
xeace said:
Thanks for reply, but I can't determine if i were eligible to work off campus without a permit as well. The article you sent has a link to "Determine if you can work off campus" and it says that i might be eligible if i maintain full time student status and remain enrolled in program. Do i maintain full time student status and remain enrolled if i finished my program?
did you work off campus when you were studying yes or no ? If yes then once you have completed your course and have submitted your PGWP application you can start working pending PGWP application approval. Your study permit must still be valid at the time you apply for pgwp. Only you can determine if your study permit supported off campus work or if you actually worked off campus.

Most study permits supported off campus work so see here for the conditions and assess if your permit met those conditions http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/work-offcampus.asp

Also see para 186w http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/SOR-2002-227/section-186.html

xeace

Dec 31, 2016
Bs65 said:
did you work off campus when you were studying yes or no ? If yes then once you have completed your course and have submitted your PGWP application you can start working pending PGWP application approval. Your study permit must still be valid at the time you apply for pgwp. Only you can determine if your study permit supported off campus work or if you actually worked off campus.
I didn't work off campus and I don't have conditions that allow me to work on my study permit. I guess I would wait for my PGWP then.
Thanks a lot!

thestarfire

Nov 12, 2013
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
01-03-2017
Doc's Request.
Upfront
Nomination.....
02-03-2017
AOR Received.
02-04-2017
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
24-07-2017
Passport Req..
28-09-2017
VISA ISSUED...
pending
LANDED..........
pending
xeace said:
As far as I know you can work offcampus max 20 hours per week while being a full time student. After you graduate, you need to apply for PGWP to work. However, you can work full time if you have already applied for PGWP and waiting for a decision. (Its called implied status). I hope this helped you.