+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work experience for independent contractor

ringostarr99

Feb 19, 2020
Hi folks,

Hope you're all having a great day. I'm applying for the Canadian Federal Skilled Worker (FSW) program under the Express Entry. I have already started my profile and filling out my details, but have hit a wall of confusion over my work experience which I need help with. I worked as a contractor for a company in Australia and am now working as a full time employee for the same company since the last year. During my contracting years I was working on an Australian Business Number (ABN) as an independent contractor (not incorporated as a company).

Now, when I go to the EE profile, under the work experience section it gives me the option to mark the work experience as self-employed. That's where it gets confusing for me. I've worked as both employee and contractor for the same company, and on top of that as I'm not incorporated as company it gets even more confusing. So my question is, do I have to list my own name in the company section in EE profile and mark it as self employed during the time as independent contractor, or should I list the company name for all the time period from when I'm planning to claim the experience and not mark it as self employed?

Any useful advise would be much appreciated.