+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work Experience (Field of Study)

worker_7

Feb 20, 2024
Hi,

I wanted to enquire if I need to work in my field of study to gain points for Canadian Work Experience? Or will I gain points for Canadian Work Experience as long as my full-time job is under NOC 0,1,2,3?

I've completed my bachelor's in Mechanical Engineering (Outside Canada). I've then completed a Post Grad Diploma in Supply Chain Management in Toronto. Currently, I'm working as an insurance broker. I understand that my job falls under the NOC 3 category.

Please advise. @legalfalcon

Thanks

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi,

I wanted to enquire if I need to work in my field of study to gain points for Canadian Work Experience? Or will I gain points for Canadian Work Experience as long as my full-time job is under NOC 0,1,2,3?

I've completed my bachelor's in Mechanical Engineering (Outside Canada). I've then completed a Post Grad Diploma in Supply Chain Management in Toronto. Currently, I'm working as an insurance broker. I understand that my job falls under the NOC 3 category.

Thanks
For EE, work experience doesn’t need to match education.

Raptor33

May 10, 2020
Hi,

Thanks
No, you don't necessarily need to work in your field of study to gain points for Canadian work experience under the Federal Skilled Worker (FSW) program. As long as your full-time job falls under National Occupational Classification (NOC) categories 0, 1, 2, or 3, you can earn points for your work experience regardless of whether it directly relates to your educational background.

Here's a breakdown of how your situation applies:

• Your education: Bachelor's in Mechanical Engineering and Post Grad Diploma in Supply Chain Management.
  • Current work: Insurance broker (likely NOC 6232 - Insurance and real estate agents and salespersons).

While your current work as an insurance broker falls under NOC 6, which is outside the point-eligible categories, your previous work experience related to your education might qualify for points.

Here's what you can do:

• Identify relevant past work experience: If you have any full-time, paid work experience in Canada that falls under NOC 0, 1, 2, or 3, you can claim points for it in your FSW application. This could include any internships, co-op placements, or full-time jobs you held related to your studies or other relevant fields.
  • Gather proof of employment: Ensure you have documentation like employment letters, pay stubs, or tax slips to verify your past work experience.

Remember, the points awarded for work experience depend on several factors, including:

• Number of hours worked: Full-time work generally earns more points than part-time work.
  • Duration of employment: Longer work experience typically translates to more points.
  • Skill level of the occupation: Higher-skilled occupations within eligible NOC categories receive more points.

It's crucial to carefully review the FSW point system and its specific requirements for work experience. You can find detailed information on the IRCC website: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/eligibility/canadian-experience-class.html

Here are some additional resources that might be helpful:

By understanding the point system and gathering relevant documentation, you can effectively utilize your work experience to strengthen your FSW application.