+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work done after completion of studies and before PGWP for CEC

cec immigration

Star Member
May 13, 2015
Hi
I completed my studies in December 2014 and applied for my PGWP on January 18, 2015. I started working on February 1, 2015. Now I am completing my 1 year of CEC on January 31, 2016. The problem is I received my post graduate work permit on April 30, 2015. Now can I make my express entry profile from February 1, 2016 or do I need to wait till April 30, 2016. Everytime I call CIC call centre they tell different things. I only have 1 year work permit and don't have a LMIA.
Does work done after completion of studies and after applying for PGWP and before getting PGWP counted towards CEC or not.

Papa Bomboy

Jan 19, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
This makes it quite interesting. Did you have your off campus work permit at the time you started working? Were you on some kind of implied status ? In my case I had my off campus work permit was still valid while I waited for the PGWP.

Going by what is presentable on paper I would say April 30, 2016 completes your one year CEC experience but If you can prove that it is totally legal for you to work as February 2015 then I don't think you should have any issues citing that date.

Lets see what others on this forum have to say about it. Don't think its a major issue so no worries my friend.

cec immigration said:
Hi
I completed my studies in December 2014 and applied for my PGWP on January 18, 2015. I started working on February 1, 2015. Now I am completing my 1 year of CEC on January 31, 2016. The problem is I received my post graduate work permit on April 30, 2015. Now can I make my express entry profile from February 1, 2016 or do I need to wait till April 30, 2016. Everytime I call CIC call centre they tell different things. I only have 1 year work permit and don't have a LMIA.
Does work done after completion of studies and after applying for PGWP and before getting PGWP counted towards CEC or not.

cec immigration

Star Member
May 13, 2015
Under the CIC rules after completion of studies you can't work on off campus workpermit. But once you apply for your PGWP we are allowed to work legally. The problem is the CIC says work done on off campus is not valid but says nothing about this time. If I apply after April I have to leave Canada but here I can apply for bridging work permit once I get my invitation to apply.

Papa Bomboy said:
This makes it quite interesting. Did you have your off campus work permit at the time you started working? Were you on some kind of implied status ? In my case I had my off campus work permit was still valid while I waited for the PGWP.

Going by what is presentable on paper I would say April 30, 2016 completes your one year CEC experience but If you can prove that it is totally legal for you to work as February 2015 then I don't think you should have any issues citing that date.

Lets see what others on this forum have to say about it. Don't think its a major issue so no worries my friend.

Georgesand

Oct 22, 2013
I will be in the same situation as yours soon. From what I have read. Some visa officer rejects it. Some approves it!

But it is stated on CIC website that work experience gained during implied status COUNTS towards CEC. THIS IS 100% SURE!

My concern is that... I am not sure if the implied status starts when you have completed your study although your study permit still does not expire. Or you are in an implied status WHEN your study permit expires. What I can find on CIC website is quite loose and can be interpreted in both way.

If I were you, I would apply now and also provide a letter of explanation that you complete the study on...... and thus in the implied status on that day after you have applied for PGWP. I would also quote CIC website to further explain the officer LOL.

The worst case if you got rejected. Well, then you can reapply again?

Good luck and please send me a message to keep me updated!

nitishk

Sep 17, 2013
Work done after applying for a PGWP is counted.
I am guessing that you haven't worked after last day of school and before applying for a PGWP which will otherwise be unauthorized work(from December 2014 until the day you applied for a PGWP), but in your case you are good to go for express entry under CEC

samroc

Oct 7, 2013
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
01-05-2017
Passport Req..
04-07-2017
LANDED..........
10-10-2017
Agreed. According to CIC's PGWP page, you can work after applying for a PGWP until CIC makes a decision on your application. It states this on the main page here:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/students/post-grad.asp

Your implied status starts after you have finished your program and applied for your PGWP. If you worked after finishing your program but before applying for PGWP, then that may not be legal.

J5M

Champion Member
May 15, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

cec immigration said:
Hi

1. You work experience (for CEC) is countable if gained on an implied status.

Jul 26, 2015
cec immigration said:
Hi
I'm in exactly the same situation as you , if my work experience during my implied status counts then I can apply this September.
Any updates about your situation ?

Thanks

JinandMango

Star Member
Jan 18, 2017
AOR Received.
19-01-2018
Med's Done....
06-02-2018
Hey folks, I just called CIC and they said the work experience counts from the date you've received your PGWP. However, it seems like some people actually get PR using the "implied status work experience" Is this just a mistake by whoever reviewed applications?
Can I give it a shot with the implied status work experience? If I get rejected, am I going to be banned or something?