+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

withdrawing my spousal sponsorship... need advice.

haleyh

Jun 30, 2017
Hello,

I am in the process of deciding if I am going to withdraw my spousal sponsorship. My husband and I married January 2017. Put an application for open work permit and permanent residency application in June 2018. I was approved to be a sponsor, he got an open work permit and just recently completed his medical exams. My problem is things aren’t going right. We have a child together and there has been plenty of infidelity on his part and I am just over everything. We temporarily separated with the intentions of improving things and nothing has changed and because of this I do not want to be legally responsible for him for 3 years. With all this being said, I am wanting to cancel everything but I was wondering if anyone knew if there was a way he could stay on his own without my help. Is there a different type of visa he can apply for? I’m only asking because we do have a child together and I don’t want to be the reason he’s not in his life but he has also made that decision based on his actions. As much as I dislike him I also feel for their relationship and want to give him an option on doing this himself.

Thank you in advance!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
He can use any economic immigration program to stay. If your relationship has broken down you should not be sponsoring him. You also need to think of the financial implications to you and your child since you will be financially responsible for him for 3 years. Although I understand you are trying to prioritize your child's relationship you need to protect yourself. I don't want to be rude but it seems like your partner was an international student, waa the relationship an attempt to secure his stay in Canada?

Reactions: shalenabennie

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello,

I am in the process of deciding if I am going to withdraw my spousal sponsorship. My husband and I married January 2017. Put an application for open work permit and permanent residency application in June 2018. I was approved to be a sponsor, he got an open work permit and just recently completed his medical exams. My problem is things aren’t going right. We have a child together and there has been plenty of infidelity on his part and I am just over everything. We temporarily separated with the intentions of improving things and nothing has changed and because of this I do not want to be legally responsible for him for 3 years. With all this being said, I am wanting to cancel everything but I was wondering if anyone knew if there was a way he could stay on his own without my help. Is there a different type of visa he can apply for? I’m only asking because we do have a child together and I don’t want to be the reason he’s not in his life but he has also made that decision based on his actions. As much as I dislike him I also feel for their relationship and want to give him an option on doing this himself.

Thank you in advance!
The OWP has has received will continue to be valid even once you withdraw the application. That will allow him to remain in Canada for at least a period of time. After that, he's really on his own (as said above) and will have to qualify for PR or qualify to extend his stay on his own. There are certainly options - it will depend if he meets the requirements.

haleyh

Jun 30, 2017
He can use any economic immigration program to stay. If your relationship has broken down you should not be sponsoring him. You also need to think of the financial implications to you and your child since you will be financially responsible for him for 3 years. Although I understand you are trying to prioritize your child's relationship you need to protect yourself. I don't want to be rude but it seems like your partner was an international student, waa the relationship an attempt to secure his stay in Canada?
I’m 100% certain I will not be sponsoring him and he only used me for his gain. I just wanted to do the nice thing to (even though I shouldn’t) give him some information on how he can stay here without me because I will not be used anymore.

Reactions: Empsam

haleyh

Jun 30, 2017
Missed the OWP. Get blinded by concern when I see partners ignoring strong warning signs.
I am not ignoring strong warning signs, I am completely aware. But I’m trying to do this as best as possible and carefully as it’s not just me and him but a child involved. I know what I need to do.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I am not ignoring strong warning signs, I am completely aware. But I’m trying to do this as best as possible and carefully as it’s not just me and him but a child involved. I know what I need to do.
Glad to hear that you are not going to sponsor.