+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Withdrawal of Refugee

Agbeke1

Sep 30, 2023
Hello,

When I met my husband,he was a refugee claimant and I was a permanent resident. We got married and applied for spousal sponsorship. He had not done his hearing when he got his PR through the spousal sponsorship. We withdrew the refugee claim after the approval as well. My question is can he go to his home country for his traditional wedding? Please I’ll appreciate your answers. Thank you

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Hello,

When I met my husband,he was a refugee claimant and I was a permanent resident. We got married and applied for spousal sponsorship. He had not done his hearing when he got his PR through the spousal sponsorship. We withdrew the refugee claim after the approval as well. My question is can he go to his home country for his traditional wedding? Please I’ll appreciate your answers. Thank you
yes.

Agbeke1

Sep 30, 2023
Thank you Simba. So this shouldn’t affect his re-entry to Canada and citizenship application as well?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you Simba. So this shouldn’t affect his re-entry to Canada and citizenship application as well?
Shouldn’t but given that he was claiming that his life was at risk and is returning to his country for a big celebration would assume there will be additional scrutiny of any future applications and if any family members attempts to claim asylum in Canada it could impact their claim.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Hello,

The optics aren’t good

Refugee claim = no travel to home country
PR thru spousal sponsorship
Withdraws refugee claim
Suddenly , that reason for claiming asylum from his home country disappears (poof !!) and now wants to travel back to said country he said he was at risk from in the first place .

And not just have a quiet visit . But a wedding at that !!. Like, let’s draw attention to oneself , in a country , one fled from.
I’m not Einstein, but that’s all suspect
Like seriously suspect.
People playing games

Last edited:
Reactions: rcincanada2019