+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Withdraw a refugee claimant

MagnusPool

May 8, 2023
Hi guys.

My situation is that I came here to Canada as a refugee claimant with my parents (I am an adult). The thing is that I have some other family members in my country who are struggling a lot and I am getting anxious about it. We already put the BOC and we are awaiting the hearing date. I am considering withdrawing my refugee application but don't know the consequences of doing it. Do I get deported? what are the timelines for doing it? Does this decision badly impact my parents' process ( I don't want to screw things up since they are genuinely safer here)? What do I have to do for doing it, and who do I have to contact in case of doing it for having my documents back?

Thanks, guys for your attention. I will appreciate your guidance on this.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi guys.

My situation is that I came here to Canada as a refugee claimant with my parents (I am an adult). The thing is that I have some other family members in my country who are struggling a lot and I am getting anxious about it. We already put the BOC and we are awaiting the hearing date. I am considering withdrawing my refugee application but don't know the consequences of doing it. Do I get deported? what are the timelines for doing it? Does this decision badly impact my parents' process ( I don't want to screw things up since they are genuinely safer here)? What do I have to do for doing it, and who do I have to contact in case of doing it for having my documents back?

If you withdraw your application you no longer have status in Canada and would need to leave. Asylum claims are based on individual proof of persecution. It’s impossible to know if you withdrawing your claim would have an impact on their application. It would depend on why they claimed asylum and what proof they had and why you claimed asylum and what proof you had.

Reactions: MagnusPool

MagnusPool

May 8, 2023
If you withdraw your application you no longer have status in Canada and would need to leave. Asylum claims are based on individual proof of persecution. It’s impossible to know if you withdrawing your claim would have an impact on their application. It would depend on why they claimed asylum and what proof they had and why you claimed asylum and what proof you had.
Thank you I really appreciate your answer. By any chance you know how is the procedure for withdrawing, who do I have to contact? I think there should be a timeframe for leaving the country once I request to withdraw or when they give me an answer. It is like they say to answer immediately or how does it work? And questions like How/where/when do I get my documents back? Can I apply maybe in 5 years for a Canadian visitor visa? thanks again

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you I really appreciate your answer. By any chance you know how is the procedure for withdrawing, who do I have to contact? I think there should be a timeframe for leaving the country once I request to withdraw or when they give me an answer. It is like they say to answer immediately or how does it work? And questions like How/where/when do I get my documents back? Can I apply maybe in 5 years for a Canadian visitor visa? thanks again
Ideally you want to leave Canada within 30 days of withdrawing your claim. Your departure order will become active once you withdraw your claim and that will turn into a deportation order within 30 days if you do not leave on your own. Your passport will be returned to you at the airport when you are in the process of leaving.

You should assume it won't be possible (or at least will be extremely difficult) to get any sort of temporary visa in the future to Canada. This includes visitor visas. If you want to return to Canada in the future, the most likely way this will be possible is through qualifying to immigrate through an economic immigration program like Express Entry.

I'm not as confident about the exact steps to withdraw and will let others comment on that.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You need to submit a webform to withdraw your application and contact CBSA to have your passport returned at the airport. Normally you provide proof of your flight so CBSA can return your passport at the airport and ensure you leave Canada.

MagnusPool

May 8, 2023
You need to submit a webform to withdraw your application and contact CBSA to have your passport returned at the airport. Normally you provide proof of your flight so CBSA can return your passport at the airport and ensure you leave Canada.
Thanks!. By any chance you know in which page do I find this webform?

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Thanks!. By any chance you know in which page do I find this webform?
Use below form and send it to IRB. Dont use Web form. Once received and processed, expectation is for you to make arrangement to leave Canada and notify CBSA to hand over your passport at the point of exit ( Airport ). In this case, book a ticket and notify CBSA

https://irb.gc.ca/en/forms/Pages/RpdSpr2401.aspx

Reactions: canuck78

skyline9888

Jul 5, 2023
Hi guys.

How long did it take you to get the confirmation letter from the time you submitted the cancellation application form?

Karansandhu

Oct 11, 2023
@Miss bee
Hlo dear,if someone came here as a visitor visa and applied for refugee claim,then withdrew it and go back to home country.Is the visitor visa is still valid?