+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Will this arrest keep me from getting a student visa?

john_cabal

Aug 18, 2014
I am an American citizen. In the summer of 2010, I was arrested on suspicion of DUI in the United States, while on leave of absence from a Canadian university. I never plead guilty or not guilty; instead, the case was given a continuance pending one year of "good behavior," after which the charge would be dismissed. Later that year, my student visa needed to be renewed, and when I sent in my application (describing the arrest and continuance), my visa was denied. But, then, in summer 2011, the case WAS dismissed, and I have no criminal record of any kind since then (not even a parking ticket).

Now, I am applying to PhD programs, and there are a few schools in Canada where I want to apply. My question is: will the fact that I was arrested four years ago prevent me from getting a student visa? Even though the charges were dismissed? I'd appreciate any help/advice/information.

Thanks,
JC

J5M

Champion Member
May 15, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

john_cabal said:
I am an American citizen. In the summer of 2010, I was arrested on suspicion of DUI in the United States, while on leave of absence from a Canadian university. I never plead guilty or not guilty; instead, the case was given a continuance pending one year of "good behavior," after which the charge would be dismissed. Later that year, my student visa needed to be renewed, and when I sent in my application (describing the arrest and continuance), my visa was denied. But, then, in summer 2011, the case WAS dismissed, and I have no criminal record of any kind since then (not even a parking ticket).

Now, I am applying to PhD programs, and there are a few schools in Canada where I want to apply. My question is: will the fact that I was arrested four years ago prevent me from getting a student visa? Even though the charges were dismissed? I'd appreciate any help/advice/information.

Thanks,
JC

It shouldn't be an issue if no conviction & criminal record exist.