+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Will my graduate certificate application get rejected due to Study gap of 10 years in Seneca 'n Centennial college?

Sep 10, 2020
If we have study gap of 10 years like - my engineering ended in July 2011 and now i am applying for graduate certificate courses in Centennial and Seneca college, will my application be rejected because of study gap?

jigzyy

VIP Member
Jul 1, 2010
Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
04-05-2013
AOR Received.
09-07-2013
File Transfer...
22-07-2013
Med's Request
02-04-2014
Med's Done....
15-04-2014
Interview........
21-01-2014
Passport Req..
01-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2014
LANDED..........
22-09-2014
If we have study gap of 10 years like - my engineering ended in July 2011 and now i am applying for graduate certificate courses in Centennial and Seneca college, will my application be rejected because of study gap?
Yes. Based on past degree + your age + experience + choice of program will be the reason for refusal. Post Grad Certificate will not add any significant learning curve to your career. You should apply for masters if you are serious for visa.

Siddharthjh

Star Member
Sep 3, 2020
Yes. Based on past degree + your age + experience + choice of program will be the reason for refusal. Post Grad Certificate will not add any significant learning curve to your career. You should apply for masters if you are serious for visa.
I second that. It is always better to apply for masters when you have a significant gap in studies. One of my friend with 10 years of gap was rejected only for choosing the post batchelors program. Despite having good financial, home ties , good academics. Later was approved for choosing masters an year later.

Reactions: jigzyy

meister

Star Member
Nov 5, 2019
You can apply for a Post Grad Certificate provided you come across as a genuine student. You need to provide a strong LOE and show sufficient financial proof to receive an approval.

jigzyy

VIP Member
Jul 1, 2010
Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
04-05-2013
AOR Received.
09-07-2013
File Transfer...
22-07-2013
Med's Request
02-04-2014
Med's Done....
15-04-2014
Interview........
21-01-2014
Passport Req..
01-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2014
LANDED..........
22-09-2014
You can apply for a Post Grad Certificate provided you come across as a genuine student. You need to provide a strong LOE and show sufficient financial proof to receive an approval.
With the amount of gap and experience, applicant will have 99% chance of refusal. It will also come across as PR aspirant.

Petita

Aug 30, 2019
With the amount of gap and experience, applicant will have 99% chance of refusal. It will also come across as PR aspirant.
Hi sir, how about high school graduate with more than 10 years study gap, is 2 year undergad diploma okay?

jigzyy

VIP Member
Jul 1, 2010
Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
04-05-2013
AOR Received.
09-07-2013
File Transfer...
22-07-2013
Med's Request
02-04-2014
Med's Done....
15-04-2014
Interview........
21-01-2014
Passport Req..
01-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2014
LANDED..........
22-09-2014
Hmm, There might be a chance with bachelors but with a really strong SOP. I know diploma is definitely a learning curve in the education but it also depends why there was a gap for 10 years and the age of the applicant and what were the activities in those 10 years. If the applicant is close to 30 years then it gets really difficult because Visa Officer will always take them as a PR aspirant. That's why Masters at around 30 years with a gap makes more sense..

For him/her to overcome this hurdle and be able to have better chances to get visa, (s)he will have to earn a diploma or something in home country and get an advance education in Canada. This may show that the applicant is a bonafide student.

Hi sir, how about high school graduate with more than 10 years study gap, is 2 year undergad diploma okay?

• Love
Reactions: Petita

Bababaron

Jun 9, 2021
Hi
So I have done PGDM (2 years) in International Business from India, worked for 2 years and then self employed for another 3 years
Now because of Covid I have to shut my business and return to corporate jobs
I want to be in the Procurement and supply chain field
(I had a couple of supply chain subjects in the course mentioned above)
also few of the job responsibilities in my business involved sections of this particular field such as vendor management

To tap onto this area I would just need 1 year of a very job centric course such as the graduate certificate course from Seneca or Conestoga
and not a full fledged Masters because I have a very specific job field in mind
Will I also be not able to justify this gap of 5 years to the officers?

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Hi
So I have done PGDM (2 years) in International Business from India, worked for 2 years and then self employed for another 3 years
Now because of Covid I have to shut my business and return to corporate jobs
I want to be in the Procurement and supply chain field
(I had a couple of supply chain subjects in the course mentioned above)
also few of the job responsibilities in my business involved sections of this particular field such as vendor management

To tap onto this area I would just need 1 year of a very job centric course such as the graduate certificate course from Seneca or Conestoga
and not a full fledged Masters because I have a very specific job field in mind
Will I also be not able to justify this gap of 5 years to the officers?
But you dont have procurement job yet and the last 3 years you were self employed and shut down your business. If that is the case, you need to overcome your current employment status among other issues during your SP application

Bababaron

Jun 9, 2021
But you dont have procurement job yet and the last 3 years you were self employed and shut down your business. If that is the case, you need to overcome your current employment status among other issues during your SP application
Ok so let us for example take into consideration that my job duties had nothing to do with procurement
So am I not allowed to change my career path? If this area of work interests me then I would want to study further in it and I have already done PGDM 2 years in International Business . Now again 2 years Masters just seems to me like eating away a lot of time whereas I can get the desired knowledge and expertise in 1 year

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Ok so let us for example take into consideration that my job duties had nothing to do with procurement
So am I not allowed to change my career path? If this area of work interests me then I would want to study further in it and I have already done PGDM 2 years in International Business . Now again 2 years Masters just seems to me like eating away a lot of time whereas I can get the desired knowledge and expertise in 1 year
I didnt suggest you shouldnt change your career path, My comment was on your current situation and as you are gathering advice before you send your application. Its not about the time wasting to do Masters but it is about what VO are looking at, current employment status is one of them especially if you are at certain age. Question of knoweldge especially for short duration program like PG certificate can even be acquired online. And if you have 2 PGD on top of Bachelor if any, doing Certificate program raises another question. But as long as you have them all addressed in your SOP, the rest is for VO to decide

Reactions: Bababaron

Bababaron

Jun 9, 2021
I didnt suggest you shouldnt change your career path, My comment was on your current situation and as you are gathering advice before you send your application. Its not about the time wasting to do Masters but it is about what VO are looking at, current employment status is one of them especially if you are at certain age. Question of knoweldge especially for short duration program like PG certificate can even be acquired online. And if you have 2 PGD on top of Bachelor if any, doing Certificate program raises another question. But as long as you have them all addressed in your SOP, the rest is for VO to decide
Understood

But how I looked at it was (and perhaps wrongly) here 2 Year PGDM in India is almost an equivalent to MBA or Masters now again which is very generic.
The graduate certificate in supply chain on the other hand targets something very particular or niche if you can say so which was a small part of my earlier Masters

Question 2.
I had also come across a 2 year Post baccalaureate program in Cape Breton University
Would that also be considered suspicious by VO?

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Understood

But how I looked at it was (and perhaps wrongly) here 2 Year PGDM in India is almost an equivalent to MBA or Masters now again which is very generic.
The graduate certificate in supply chain on the other hand targets something very particular or niche if you can say so which was a small part of my earlier Masters

Question 2.
I had also come across a 2 year Post baccalaureate program in Cape Breton University
Would that also be considered suspicious by VO?
I dont know how grading system in India, but PGD is not equivalent to MBA. Course outline, admission requirement and conditions to fullfil Masters degree program are totally different.. and entry to Phd is Masters not PGD, if we discuss progression

2. 2 years Post Bac i guessis horizontal movement in terms of academic progression, but im not say there are zero chance of getting SP if you ignore progression, there are students getting SP. we are discussing about the odds, but at the end if you have strong profile and SOP you can apply. But ensure to address some possibilities

Bababaron

Jun 9, 2021
I dont know how grading system in India, but PGD is not equivalent to MBA. Course outline, admission requirement and conditions to fullfil Masters degree program are totally different.. and entry to Phd is Masters not PGD, if we discuss progression

2. 2 years Post Bac i guessis horizontal movement in terms of academic progression, but im not say there are zero chance of getting SP if you ignore progression, there are students getting SP. we are discussing about the odds, but at the end if you have strong profile and SOP you can apply. But ensure to address some possibilities
A Friend of mine for his PR purpose got the PGDM evaluated through WES and it granted him MBA equivalence

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
A Friend of mine for his PR purpose got the PGDM evaluated through WES and it granted him MBA equivalence
Granted not Earned. Anyway I guess we are now diverting from original discussion to a different topic, ECA requirement for Express Entry which makes Indian and Francophone Credentials as Outliers for New WES evaluation Guidelines. All the best then with your application