+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

WILL I STILL COUNT AS A "DEPENDENT CHILD"?

mache0622

Nov 5, 2011
I'VE BEEN LOOKING ALL OVER THE INTERNET TO FIND MY ANSWERS, BUT IM NOT TOO SURE IF IT IS TRUE!

THIS IS THE SITUATION, MY BROTHER SUBMITTED THE APPLICATION TO SPONSOR MY PARENTS IN 2008, AT THAT TIME I WAS 20 YEARS OLD. NOW I AM 23 GOING TO 24 IN JUNE. LAST WEEK, HE RECEIVED A LETTER FROM THE CPC-M STATING THAT THEY ARE READY TO START PROCESSING AND ASKING FOR DOCUMENTS AND PROOFS, THEYALSO MENTION PROOF OF STUDIES IF OVER 22 YEARS OLD FOR DEPENDENT CHILDREN.
THROUGH MY SEARCH ONLINE, I READ THAT THE AGE GETS LOCK-IN ON THE DATE THE CPC-M RECEIVES THE APPLICATION, WHICH WOULD BE GREAT IF THATS THE CASE, PLEASE KEEP IN MIND THAT I HAVEN'T GO TO ANY POST-SECUNDARY SCHOOL, SO THERES NO PROOF TO SHOW THAT I AM A FULL TIME STUDENT SINCE BEFORE THE AGE OF 22 IF THEY ASK FOR.
I'VE ALWAYS BEEN SINGLE AND DEPENDING ON MY PARENTS, AND IT WILL REMAIN THAT WAY FOR A LONG PERIOD OF TIME.

IF ANY ONE HAS BEEN THROUGH THIS SITUATION OR KNOWS ABOUT THIS, PLEASE LET ME KNOW HOW THAT WOULD WORK FOR ME, ANY EXPERIECES REGARDING THIS ISSUE.. I WOULD APPRECIATE A LOT YOUR HELP!

ON ANOTHER NOTE I WONDER HOW LONG MORE WOULD IT TAKE FROM THIS POINT WHEN THEY ASK FOR SUPPORTING DOCUMENTS TO THE POINT WHERE THEY ISSUE THE VISA THROUGH THE BUFFALO VISA OFFICE?

THANK YOU!!! :)

AmericaninQuebec

Oct 12, 2011
Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-02-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
05-12-2011
VISA ISSUED...
15-12-2011
LANDED..........
11-01-2012
The language on the CIC website says that you need to be under 22 and single at the time the application was received by the CPC, and still be single at the time the visa is issued and you land (you may be older than 22).

Otherwise you either needed to be in school and substantially dependent on your parents or have a medical condition that causes you to be dependent on them.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5196e2.asp

lyvly

Oct 31, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-08-2011
It depends on the province where he is from..each province has different rules but for cic to asses on ur brother sponsoring u,u have to be 18 or below.. 22 single or below f u r a child of the sponsor..

AmericaninQuebec

Oct 12, 2011
Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-02-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
05-12-2011
VISA ISSUED...
15-12-2011
LANDED..........
11-01-2012
lyvly said:
It depends on the province where he is from..each province has different rules but for cic to asses on ur brother sponsoring u,u have to be 18 or below.. 22 single or below f u r a child of the sponsor..
The information I posted describes the requirements for dependent children of the principal applicant for PR under family class non-spousal class. The brother is sponsoring the OP's parents and he was included on the application as a dependent child. To be a dependent child of the principal applicant under family class (not spousal sponsorship, but other family) he had to be under 22, single and dependent on the principal applicant (his mother or father, whichever was listed as the principal applicant) the day the application was received by CPC. To remain eligible for the visa and to land he has to still be single (i.e. not married or in a common-law relationship). There is no indication that this changes at all based on the province that his brother is in.

lyvly

Oct 31, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-08-2011
In manitoba 2 friends can sponsor another friend..in sasketchwan,,u can sponsor even ur cousin and his or her whole family..so it is by province as thats their way of luring people to be a part of their province..

AmericaninQuebec

Oct 12, 2011
Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-02-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
05-12-2011
VISA ISSUED...
15-12-2011
LANDED..........
11-01-2012
lyvly said:
In manitoba 2 friends can sponsor another friend..in sasketchwan,,u can sponsor even ur cousin and his or her whole family..so it is by province as thats their way of luring people to be a part of their province..
Yes, but that is not the OP's situation. His parents have already been sponsored by their other son, and he was included on their application as a dependent child in 2008. Now that the file is in process he would like to confirm that his status as dependent child is still valid. The information you supplied would be of use only if he was not included on the application for his parents, and was instead looking to be sponsored separately.

ladyinwaiting

Star Member
Oct 20, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2008
Doc's Request.
25-11-2011
File Transfer...
25-02-2012
Med's Request
18-10-2012
Med's Done....
01-12-2012
Passport Req..
10-01-2013
VISA ISSUED...
13-02-2013
LANDED..........
23-02-2013
Yes, AmericaninQuebec is right. According to the Family Class Sponsorship Manual at

www .cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/op/op02-eng.pdf

(sorry, I'm not allowed to post links yet, but just copy/paste it and delete the space between www and .)

Item 5.4

5.4. Lock-in age of dependent children
The lock-in of age for dependent children is the day CPC-M receives a completed IMM 1344AE
and correct processing fees. Dependent children must be less than 22 years of age when the
sponsorship application is received.

You needed to be under 22 when the form 1344AE was received by the CPC-M, that form was submitted by your brother in 2008, at the beginning of the sponsorship process, so don't worry, really.

All you need to do is be single (and even older 22) when they decide to give you the Visa and you land, and it's actually logical, why would you be dependent on your parents if you're married, right? :)

Good luck!