+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Why is there no drop down for Maintained Status???

chachacanada

Apr 29, 2024
Hey Guys,

I am working on my wife’s application for her citizenship.

I am having a little difficulty with choosing the correct drop down for the period when she was waiting for her PGWP application to be approved (implied/maintained status)

Her Maintained Status Timeline is:

Applied for Work Permit on June 19, 2020

Study Permit expired on August 31, 2020

Work Permit was received on October 13, 2020

Question: In online forms, there is no 'other' or
'maintained' option in temporary status list.

I will writing an LOE to explain the maintained status. But in the physical presence calculator what do I select? Temporary worker or International student?

FYI: She was working full time after submitting her application for her work permit in June.

xf2278389393

Aug 27, 2023
That's because maintained status just means your temporary resident status was maintained. It is not a separate type of status.

If she had permission to work on the study permit on June 19, 2020, the date she submitted her work permit application, and didn't leave Canada before October 13, 2020, then she was a temporary foreign worker between the date of program completion (it's ok to put September 1 as the start date) and the date the work permit was granted pursuant to IRPR section 186(w). Alternatively, you could just answer the question whether an extension of status was applied for with yes and provide the relevant dates.

186 A foreign national may work in Canada without a work permit [...]
(w) if they are or were the holder of a study permit who has completed their program of study and
(i) they met the requirements set out in paragraph (v), and
(ii) they applied for a work permit before the expiry of that study permit and a decision has not yet been made in respect of their application; or [...]