+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Why does Quebec do this ?

Sysnco

Star Member
Apr 29, 2024
I genuinely want to know why does it take 15 more months (39 total) to get your PR in Quebec as opposed to other provinces I understand that they basically have a quota system and don’t want people here but why ruin the lives of the ones that are already in your province. I’m not critizing or anything I love this country and province but it just wouldn’t make sense to me

alidw

Aug 28, 2022
Quebec has no say in regards to family reunification and protected persons (refugees), it’s a federal responsibility. There is nothing in the Canada-Quebec Accord that mentions these two streams.

It’s an IRCC’s (and probably current administration) decision.

Here is the refugee section in the Accord, read section 20.

Refugees:

17. In accordance with its international obligations, Canada shall determine who is a refugee within the meaning of the United Nations Convention Relating to the Status of Refugees, and who are persons in similar circumstances in need of Canada’s protection.

18. Subject to section 20, refugees and persons in similar circumstances identified by Canada who are destined to Québec and who meet Québec’s selection criteria shall be admitted by Canada if they are not members of an inadmissible class under the law of Canada.

19. Subject to section 20, Canada shall not admit a refugee or person in similar circumstances identified by Canada who is destined to Québec and who does not meet Québec’s selection criteria.

20. Where permanent resident status is granted to a person already in Québec who is recognized as a refugee, Québec’s consent shall not be required.

Sysnco

Star Member
Apr 29, 2024
Quebec has no say in regards to family reunification and protected persons (refugees), it’s a federal responsibility. There is nothing in the Canada-Quebec Accord that mentions these two streams.

Refugees:

17. In accordance with its international obligations, Canada shall determine who is a refugee within the meaning of the United Nations Convention Relating to the Status of Refugees, and who are persons in similar circumstances in need of Canada’s protection.

18. Subject to section 20, refugees and persons in similar circumstances identified by Canada who are destined to Québec and who meet Québec’s selection criteria shall be admitted by Canada if they are not members of an inadmissible class under the law of Canada.

19. Subject to section 20, Canada shall not admit a refugee or person in similar circumstances identified by Canada who is destined to Québec and who does not meet Québec’s selection criteria.

20. Where permanent resident status is granted to a person already in Québec who is recognized as a refugee, Québec’s consent shall not be required.
Well yeah Quebec doesn’t determine who is a refugee or not and that’s not what I was talking about we’re talking about the PR application treatment for protected person
How do you explain the big gap between the treatement time of Quebec and other provinces a coincidence? Anytime I call IRCC I get told that it’s Quebec’s responsibility for the delay in my application because of the quota they have

alidw

Aug 28, 2022
Well yeah Quebec doesn’t determine who is a refugee or not and that’s not what I was talking about we’re talking about the PR application treatment for protected person
How do you explain the big gap between the treatement time of Quebec and other provinces a coincidence? Anytime I call IRCC I get told that it’s Quebec’s responsibility for the delay in my application because of the quota they have
Quebec “asks” the IRCC to not accept any more PR, and the IRCC accepts it. It’s not based on the Accord.

see ref/bullet 7 at the bottom here: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/news/notices/supplementary-immigration-levels-2024-2026.html

They have only recently started to say the reason for the delay is Quebec because they are getting more and more heat from the applicants. But it’s them who are accepting the quota of Quebec, without being forced by law to accept it.

The B.S is so damn high, that even if you moved from Quebec, the IRCC will not change your estimated process time and finalizes your application because of an “internal policy” lmao

Sysnco

Star Member
Apr 29, 2024
Quebec “asks” the IRCC to not accept any more PR, and the IRCC accepts it. It’s not based on the Accord.

see ref/bullet 7 at the bottom here: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/news/notices/supplementary-immigration-levels-2024-2026.html

They have only recently started to say the reason for the delay is Quebec because they are getting more and more heat from the applicants. But it’s them who are accepting the quota of Quebec, without being forced by law to accept it.

The B.S is so damn high, that even if you moved from Quebec, the IRCC will not change your estimated process time and finalizes your application because of an “internal policy” lmao
IKR it doesn’t make sense they don’t treat your application and they won’t even let other provinces treat it faster what do they even mean by heat ?
TBH the federal government doesn’t have a choice Quebec is a huge part of Canada they can’t just disrespect it like that so they don’t realistically have the choice to accepte Quebec’s immigration decisions even if by law they can but the consequences are gonna be huge

sherryl89

Star Member
Dec 4, 2018

Refugees:

Wake up you are dreaming. Quebec has the right to determine family reunification. hahaha........I guess you are new in Canada

Reactions: scylla

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

It's not an ask. Quebec has the ability to control this and has put caps in for issuance of PR. This is very well known. This situation is entirely of Quebec's making. The federal government tries to get Quebec to remove the caps and Quebec said no.

Some individuals in the family sponsorship section of the forum have managed to move provinces to get their applications out of the caps. So it is feasible in some cases.

Maxnajafi

Feb 19, 2024
I have a question , it affect to someone who already had a CSQ or not, i applied for PR in may 2023 and submitted my CSQ also