+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

While on a PGWP (post graduate work permit) and residing in Canada, does remote work experience in tech in a US-based company count towards my PR?

delhigirl93

Oct 17, 2020
While on a PGWP (post graduate work permit) and residing in Canada, does remote work experience in tech in a US-based company count towards my PR?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Yes, it counts towards PR. However it counts as foreign work experience and not Canadian work experience. So it doesn't help you in terms of qualifying for CEC.

hyong1991

Star Member
Feb 27, 2019
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/mandate/policies-operational-instructions-agreements/ministerial-instructions/express-entry-application-management-system/current.html

"Canadian work experience
(3) For the purposes of this section, Canadian work experience is work experience that

• (a) is acquired by a foreign national in Canada in one or more occupations listed in Skill Type 0 Management Occupations or Skill Level A or B of the National Occupational Classification matrix;
  • (b) consists of full-time work experience, or the full-time equivalent for part-time work experience, with one or more employers;
  • (c) is acquired within the 10-year period preceding the day on which points are assigned to the foreign national under subsection (1); and
  • (d) is remunerated by the payment of wages or a commission."

Going by definition, it should counts as Canadian work experience

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/mandate/policies-operational-instructions-agreements/ministerial-instructions/express-entry-application-management-system/current.html

"Canadian work experience
(3) For the purposes of this section, Canadian work experience is work experience that

• (a) is acquired by a foreign national in Canada in one or more occupations listed in Skill Type 0 Management Occupations or Skill Level A or B of the National Occupational Classification matrix;
  • (b) consists of full-time work experience, or the full-time equivalent for part-time work experience, with one or more employers;
  • (c) is acquired within the 10-year period preceding the day on which points are assigned to the foreign national under subsection (1); and
  • (d) is remunerated by the payment of wages or a commission."

Going by definition, it should counts as Canadian work experience
Nope.

https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=730&top=29

To apply for permanent residence under the Canadian Experience Class, your skilled work experience must:
  • be in a job classified as skill type 0, or skill level A or B according to the 2016 National Occupational Classification,
  • amount to at least one year of full-time (or an equal amount in part-time) in the previous three years,
  • have been with an employer in Canada (self-employment does not count),
  • be gained with the proper legal authorization (for example, as a documented worker with a valid work permit), and
  • not be gained while you were studying on a student permit.

Reactions: hyong1991

hyong1991

Star Member
Feb 27, 2019
Nope.

https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=730&top=29

To apply for permanent residence under the Canadian Experience Class, your skilled work experience must:
  • be in a job classified as skill type 0, or skill level A or B according to the 2016 National Occupational Classification,
  • amount to at least one year of full-time (or an equal amount in part-time) in the previous three years,
  • have been with an employer in Canada (self-employment does not count),
  • be gained with the proper legal authorization (for example, as a documented worker with a valid work permit), and
  • not be gained while you were studying on a student permit.
Interesting,

So let's say A is a UK company but has a Subsidiary in Canada, and Op is working for that specific subsidiary, that experience would count ?

but if A does not have any local presence, and hires OP, that experience would not count as Canadian experience ???

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Interesting,

So let's say A is a UK company but has a Subsidiary in Canada, and Op is working for that specific subsidiary, that experience would count ?

but if A does not have any local presence, and hires OP, that experience would not count as Canadian experience ???
Yes - that's right. Company has to have operations / a physical branch in Canada. It can certainly be a subsid.

Reactions: hyong1991

delhigirl93

Oct 17, 2020
Yes, it counts towards PR. However it counts as foreign work experience and not Canadian work experience. So it doesn't help you in terms of qualifying for CEC.
But then can I
Thanks but at least can I apply under FSWP? On the FSWP info page, it states under the work experience section, 'Canadian or Foreign' work experience. It says 'continuous 1 year work experience', so if I work here for 1 year 'continuously', then I can become eligible for applying PR no? Please advise

vinithenorth

May 27, 2021
But then can I

Thanks but at least can I apply under FSWP? On the FSWP info page, it states under the work experience section, 'Canadian or Foreign' work experience. It says 'continuous 1 year work experience', so if I work here for 1 year 'continuously', then I can become eligible for applying PR no? Please advise
It depends on the other eligibility requirements, including the six factors. Also, being eligible doesn't automatically mean you will receive PR. There are EE draws that invite people with the highest scores.

FSW draws are currently on hold, who knows when will they come back and what cut-off score will they have.

You can calculate your CRS score, the score they use for the draws, at https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/crs-tool.asp

And you can check the history of draws at [many sources, just citing one]: https://www.ee-stats.com/draws/

If you are a work permit holder, it is usually a better deal to work for a Canadian company so you will have greater odds at CEC than at FSW, even if that means a pay cut for a while.