+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Which visa category to apply for?

Jun 8, 2020
Hello,

I am Indian citizen currently working in Canada (British Columbia) on a closed work permit valid till August 2022. My fiancé is also an Indian citizen and currently working in India and we will be getting married in couple of months. After marriage, I am planning to bring her along with me to live and work in Canada. I am a bit confused on what type of visa category will she be eligible to apply for?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Hello,

I am Indian citizen currently working in Canada (British Columbia) on a closed work permit valid till August 2022. My fiancé is also an Indian citizen and currently working in India and we will be getting married in couple of months. After marriage, I am planning to bring her along with me to live and work in Canada. I am a bit confused on what type of visa category will she be eligible to apply for?
1. Once you are married, she can apply for a Spousal open Work Permit. There is no guarantee that it will be issued. You have to be working in a NOC A, B or O occupation and you would have to send her copies of 3 pay stubs and a copy of your work permit.

Reactions: akashagarwal04

thevisawhisperer

Champion Member
Jun 10, 2020
West Coast
The only option that is tied to your status (she could always apply as a student etc., independent of her relationship with you, but that's not what we're talking about, right?) is the Spousal Open Work Permit. As PMM said, she would be eligible only if you can show that you are employed full-time in a NOC 0, A or B position - normally a work experience letter from your employer supported by 3 months of pay stubs.

Jun 8, 2020
The only option that is tied to your status (she could always apply as a student etc., independent of her relationship with you, but that's not what we're talking about, right?) is the Spousal Open Work Permit. As PMM said, she would be eligible only if you can show that you are employed full-time in a NOC 0, A or B position - normally a work experience letter from your employer supported by 3 months of pay stubs.
Thanks for your response.

Yes, i am talking about the Spousal OWP but what are the chances of it getting approved as it's going to be a new wedding with not much time being into it? And if it get's approved, how much time will it take?

Are there any other options available for me to bring my to-be-wife to Canada along after marriage OR if it is possible to apply for her independent visitor visa before marriage and registering a marriage here in Canada?

thevisawhisperer

Champion Member
Jun 10, 2020
West Coast
I'm afraid the question 'what are the chances of . . . ' is usually impossible to answer, as in immigration the details, YOUR details, are of critical importance. The SOWP regulation doesn't require that you be married for a certain amount of time before applying. Family reunification is one of the cornerstones of immigration policy, but that said it's usually more complicated than that.
If your spouse is in Canada, the likelihood of an SOWP approval goes from unknown to almost certain so if you can bring her to Canada as a visitor then your 'chances' go up significantly.